Commitment to bug fixes

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Multi-Sev, Jul 15, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

On a scale of 1-5: How well do you think the previous "commitment to bug fixing" is going?

1. 1 - Very Poor - Progress is non-existent or going backwards, or the team is not trying hard enough

31.8%
  2. 2 - Poor - Little or no progress - they seem to want to fix bugs but they create as many as they fix

59.1%
  3. 3 - Average - Some small amount of progress is being made for each new release

9.1%
  4. 4 - Above average - Good progress is being made in cleaning up the code for each new release

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 - Excellent - Every bug is eliminated within one or two releases after being identified

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multi-Sev

Multi-Sev Forum Overlooker

Hello Everyone:

A few months ago the mods here announced that, because of our feedback, the devs would be making a new commitment to bug fixes above new content, etc. I couldn't find exactly where that official announcement was made. If anyone knows where that post is, please post in this thread and provide a link to it so we can get an idea of what exactly was said and when it was said.

I created this thread/poll to get an approximate gauge of how well we, the gaming community, think the company is doing in eliminating bugs and not creating new bugs.

I would like to hear any opinion on the issue. I would especially like to invite the devs/programmers/CMs to respond and vote in the poll, if they so desire.

If this poll shows what I think it might about the community's satisfaction with current progress on bugs, I think it would be beneficial for the devs/programmers/CMs to provide some background in the difficulty of tracking down and fixing bugs, not creating new bugs, etc. I think that, like me, most people are not happy with the bug-fixing progress so far.

I voted a 2 in my own poll. If I had allowed fractions, I probably would have chose 1.5. I believe the team wants/wanted to fix bugs, but I think the follow-through has been pretty bad.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to comment, especially official members of the team. Perhaps my opinion could be swayed if I knew more about the complications involved in identifying and eliminating bugs and/or not creating new bugs in the code.

Thanks,

Sevasten

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Darwarren likes this.
  2. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

I also voted #2 as I would like to believe that the dev's are trying. It seems (and I am only assuming) that the demand for more quests/maps/events weigh more on their minds than the basic bugs that seem to plaque the game.

In their rush to update they overlook those bugs and add smaller ones to the mix.

There seems to be a ton of time invested in the latest event as far as maps and new monsters go which was cool, but the little things like invisible players, invisible lasers, and bouncing back to an area that you already ran past were making the game less fun to play. This automatically leads to rushed patch fixes.

Looking back through this forum and even the old one and the same old bugs have been complained about for quite some time.

It would seem to me that the dev's would spend some time looking at them before moving onto to new maps/monsters/events.

Maybe what is needed is a complete list of bugs in one thread so it can be forwarded to the dev's instead of many single threads. Maybe they could at that point see that fixing the bugs is more important than new items or events.

Multi-Sev likes this.
  3. Multi-Sev

With 36 votes in, 33 have voted "poor" or "very poor". That would seem to contradict what was said about bug fixes in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Hellamyjamgirl

Hellamyjamgirl Junior Expert

I don't think BP is comitted to fixing the bugs in game, I've played DSO for over 2 years and haven't seen any signifant progress with eliminating bugs - actually they are only adding mroe bugs in every release, their work is really sloppy, they always tell us to "bear with the problems". But we've done that in litterally years and still nothing... People stop pay or stop playing DSO due to these problems, I think if they really wanted to fix the bugs, they would've done it.

I don't know if it's a matter of money - we all know BP make the biggest pay 2 win games and they only favour players who pay the most. I have tried many times giving them feedback about bugs and explaining in the forum, but it seems it doesn't help at all.

They always tell us to write bugs etc. in the forum and give them feedback about events etc, but why give them feedback if they dont use it for a EDIT

You are only wasting your time reporting these bugs, their priority is to get money not to fix bugs.

And Multi-sev I think you should be the new bug-guy. You are the right one for the job in my opnion, to report bugs etc. :)

Last edited by moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  5. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

@Hellamyjamgirl When moderator is editing your text for masking bad language and cursing, you don't change it back!

Another thing, please change your avatar.

6. Multi-Sev

Everyone needs to report bugs. I don't even know all of the bugs, since I only play one class now, and I'm not even playing that much compared to how much I used to play. This is a job for the whole community, the forum moderators AND the dev/CM team.

It's pretty easy to report a bug in the Technical Support section, and Biztart has created a very comprehensive "Known Bugs List" thread that is edited as bugs are fixed or new bugs are discovered.

We need to work within the system if we want to help make some progress. There is no other choice, except to stop playing.

Rhysingstar likes this.
  7. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

The developers have a habit of making inept changes with unintended consequences. And if they can't fix it, they abandon it and go on to mangle something else. For example, the normal option for the teleportarium has been disabled for months, even though quest lines and major uniques are in there for level 45 players. They can talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Some managers somewhere must sign off on it, or it would be fixed.

8. Slitrobo

Slitrobo Forum Connoisseur

There has never been a normal option for Teleportarium.

9. Multi-Sev

With the "position" bug still active, even on the test server in release 132 (so far)... I'm starting to lose the (very little) faith I had in the team after the latest CM announcement; "...we are crushing bugs faster than new ones can breed." - really? o_O

Anyway, with 43 votes in, the community opinion is still pretty obvious; the team needs to step it up a couple of notches. Fix this position bug, team. While you're at it, get some of these skill-specific bugs fixed. You know, the ones that have been plaguing us for six months or more... remember those???

10. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

There was a normal option for a while; I ran it a few times with my guildies, when the location first became available. We quit going to the Teleportarium, when the only option was Difficult, and the payoff was no longer worth the effort.
    Even one of the support staff acknowledged the option was no longer available, because a glitch could not be fixed by the programmers.

11. Slitrobo

Slitrobo Forum Connoisseur

I just re-watched Crazyrabby's video from the test server when he was reporting on the then new content five days before it went to the live servers. It was difficult only then. Maybe you played it on the test server before Crazzyrabby made his video?

12. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

Nope. Agathon server, after I made 45. It was the only quest I did not complete. We ran normal a few times over a week or so, then it was gone.
    My test server character is low level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.