English Only Server?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by elushia, Dec 20, 2013.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

It's really become ridiculous on the Agathon server. You cannot find anyone who speaks english!!
    An english only server would be awesome! Just saying...

Muscle likes this.
  2. sdknightno1

sdknightno1 Advanced

There are definitely English-speaking players on Agathon, you just have to look harder.
    Yes, an English-only server would be nice but I don't think it will ever happen with DSO.

elushia likes this.
  3. Talicni

Talicni Forum Connoisseur

Visit Grimmag server then try finding more then 2 sentences in English for about 1 hour :p

Muscle, Bearak and elushia like this.
  4. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

Same in Agathon. it's really getting ridiculous.

5. dragons

dragons Active Author

Isn't there no USA players? Is the game not marketed properly outside Europe?

6. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

The thing is how could an Enghlish only server possibly be enforced. Ever turn on your language filter yet you still see chats going on in Tagalog, Spanish or other languages? This is because these players have their game set to English even though they chat in their native tongue.

BP markets itself as a global online gaming company. That's why there are all those language choices and translations to begin with. I doubt this is something they are going to step back from. They never really put forward a strong marketing strategy for North America. So they never made a really big dent in the market share here.

But consider that they already had a very strong global player base from their previous games and the big name North American game publishers pretty much have the English only market locked up. At one time in BP's management history the founder, H.H., was made CEO in charge of developing the market here. That did not work out well for neither BP or him :rolleyes:

It's not just BP either. there are many browser based game companies out there that would love to get a good share of the English language market. To this point though they all remain niche players. (Any of you that are in college, figuring out why this is would make a good subject for a thesis paper, lol.)

I do admit the language situation bothers me less than most. Having spent the last 24 years of my career with an airline I often wound up in some country where communicating felt just like it does in this game :)

I do feel your frustration though. But the solution is not an English only server. BP needs to come up with both the motivation and the means to market this game better to English speaking players.

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

7. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

I guess not, or not much at all, as there are few english speaking players!!

8. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

Good point Mikey, but they're sure as heck not going to get the North American market without marketing the game!!! No one I know has heard of it. They need to get on the ball and do some marketing in North America! C'mon Devs!!!!

9. dragons

dragons Active Author

How is the english speaking comunity in the other BigPoint games? As I'm not really a fan of strategy games.

10. -=Lewis=-

-=Lewis=- Forum Pro

Because there are more affluence of people from south america where their language is spanish and portuguese.
    in brief agathon = english + spanish + portuguese predominantly.
    sorry for mistakes :D, i speak spanish and a little english

11. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

I wish they would somehow inform players of this BEFORE they join a certain server!

_G_R_A_M_P_S_ likes this.
  12. Superme

Superme Forum Pro

The best bet is too join an Anglophone guild. As said previously, I doubt there will be a dedicated English speaking server. I think the kicker is often you see players with these "English" names, and then they cant speak one word of English.

Btw, the Spanish speakers are rabid. I make that statement because for a short while I was in a Spanish speaking guild, and they were very vitriolic in their speech, I had never heard so much vitriol in any of the English speaking guilds that I have been in. Maybe it is unfair for me to make that assumption based on the one guild, but if I were to ever leave the guild I am in, and I would not, I would never join another Spanish speaking guild again.

elushia likes this.
  13. elushia

elushia Forum Apprentice

I totally agree. I've experienced that before. That's why I refuse to accept any group requests from them either. If I accept and see no english I leave.

14. Callisto

Callisto Forum Pro

BP is a global company as Mikey said, if we were to set a server to English Only, then it would be unfair not to offer Spanish only, or Bulgarian only, or any one of the 22 different languages we support.

I will however pass it on, to perhaps add some sort of Server description on the sign up screen, and list the predominate languages on each?

But even then, Agathon I know for a fact would be listed with English as a Language.

I expect Tegan is the most US English speaking populated server, purely from who I see around the EN boards.

Grimmag is the least, Grimmag is Turkish, Polish and Bulgarian.

No idea regarding Werian.

Balor is PvP so probably a mix.

And heredur is mostly West European I think.

15. Ashelia59650

Ashelia59650 Active Author

If enough people are willing with a heavy cost to migrate to a full english servor, even I will pay 50-100 euros with no hesitations, so will my mates xD

16. Superme

Superme Forum Pro

Even if you do, and if perchance one is created, what is going to stop the non English speakers from migrating too? Also, how are you going to ensure that the persons who go there are English speaking, bearing in mind that geography may not necessarily denote which language the gamer speaks. I may live in a country which speak lets say Farsi but English is my natal tongue.

17. Bearak

Bearak Active Author

Grimmag hasnt so many turkish has Cz,Sk,BG, russians 70% and some greeks.

18. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Grimmag is multicultural server and there are at least 20-25 languages that players are speaking. Because BP have no support for other languages, that does not mean there are no other language speaking players.

There are lot of funny things going on these days. They say no to racism, but in the same time they are not willing to learn other peoples cultures. It does not matters if you are black or yellow or white ... as long as you are speaking my language.

It is funny how people in english speaking countries are closed to english only. But in the same time in USA, GB and Australia there are vast amount of people with other country's origin.

You can have an one language speaking guild, but you can't make one language speaking server. How would you do that?
    It is most reasonable that you chose server that is closest to your place of living.
    The longer the distance the bigger the lag is.
    And even if I chose longer distance server and play at english speaking server ... should they ban me for not speaking english? :D

Al your whining is ridiculous. Everyone can chose friends but can not chose parents.

It is unthinkable in the 21st century, in the time of knowledge and technology where knowledge is power, people to speak only their native language.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Zokin, znoog and -Faeriequeen22- like this.
  19. -Faeriequeen22-

-Faeriequeen22- Forum Mogul

Tralalaki, sweety, I'm so proud to have you around, this is wonderful post :) Love! <3

trakilaki likes this.
  20. soxx101

soxx101 Forum Connoisseur

if they dont speak english then click name then hit the ignore and drone out their dribble... easy solution then you get to see the english players

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.