Bug Explosive Arrow explodes without penetration

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by sebastian_fl, Nov 7, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

Right now, and always since r155 Explosive Arrow has been exploding no matter if it hit an object or not.

However, here is the description of the skill:

The arrow will explode shortly after penetration and cause the foe it hit, as well as all others within a 3.2 meter radius, 150% of your base damage as physical damage.

Here are also notes from one of the release notes:

Skill: Explosive Arrow - effect corrected
    The explosion of Explosive Arrow now always triggers when the bullet hits an object.

I have also checked some other languages, and they say 'explosion follows a hit'.

Thus Since
    'penetration' in English means piercing/going through something, or hitting an object in other words,

And Since
    Additional wording also focuses on the word 'hit' (foes it hits),

And Since
    It does require a hit in other language definition,

It is a bug. The EA should not explode unless it hits a player or NPC.

Description aside, that particular skill is absolutely unreasonable as it doesnt require a skill from a player. Everyone can spam a bullet thay would hit large area.

It also creates major disadvantage in PVP for other ranged players including other archers, mages and dwarfs, who tend to engage at the same distance but are reuired to hit an opponent with either PrecisionShot or fireball or whatever.

It also creates unreasonable effect in 5v5, where if casted into the Home area of a team, or a corridor, will often be invisible to players who a running through it, so they cannot avoid it.

It is, to a large degree, an unavoidable skill which should be adjusted / fixed.

Disclaimer.
    I know the timing is wrong for this one, as rangers have been fixed again recently. But be sure I will support you all in any improvement you want about your class, especially in terms of PVE. I just want current or future improved Ranger be skillful player, engage in a fight and have skills and abilities to engage in a fight, not being forced into that exchange of the spammy shots.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Troneck86

Troneck86 Forum Great Master

I am not disagreeing with you, but anything pertaining to the Ranger class getting nerfed seems to be taken care of swiftly when compared to other classes. We're already the black sheep of the game.

It does take some skill in aiming. I've become quite proficient at hitting people with predictable movement patterns, but I do miss the old days of marking and using precision shot. This was before the damage threshold was so high, though. The time it takes to mark and fire off a high damage shot is usually not enough before you are destroyed these days.

sebastian_fl likes this.
  3. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

Well, the Ranger thing overall is a sepatate conversation, and I will support you in every single topic on ranger improvements.

I just started here. I plan also to raise the after death explosion of DKs, which requires no skill. And also the whole skillless class. I just started with rangers as it was the low hanging fruit. Skill is skill-less, and it doesnt work as intended by description.

4. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

False.
    It is not a bug.
    If not hitting a target EA explodes at the end of its path ... just like the Frozen Sphere. The only difference is FS i mid range skill ... EA is long range skill.
    It was a subject of fixing in one of the patches ... where previously EA when missing a target wasn't exploding at all. That was a bug.

EDIT: actually it was not exploding after hitting a target.
    However like I said ... EA is exploding at the end of its range as intended.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    VukChe and Llogos like this.
  5. thegreatpretender

thegreatpretender Forum Greenhorn

Yes, thats it.
    Nerf the rangers, just a litle more.

If you have no more ideas to nerf those guys I can give you some:
    Remove explosion from EA and put, lets say, 30 seconds cooldown. Also, reduce the EA damage in 50%.
    Remove the stun from bird of prey and make it 2 minutes cooldown.
    Remove the damage from bladedance and make it 3 minutes cooldown.

And last but not least I think you should also remove one leg from all rangers.
    Some of those bastards run like hell, if you remove them a leg maybe they slow down a bit.

draco994, geoff1 and Llogos like this.
  6. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

What you are saying is debatable as a minimum.

According to a description, it is a bug and it does not work as intented.

If thats the description that is inaccurate, let it be. It should be updated then.

If the description was accurate, I would still start another topic to expain that kind of skillless skill does not make any sense anyway.
    Please be so kind and spam your offtopic elsewhere.

7. trakilaki

What you refer as off-topic is actually well made statement which is result of long testing + debating with one of the devs.
    The conversation was made during testing the Ranged Boss Bug ... where SWs could use Magic Missile without engaging the boss in fight.
    I asked him why SWs have longer range skills than rangers ... since rangers can't reach the boss with HA.
    ... long story short ... he said EA has the longest range of all skills just because it is exploding at the end of the range.
    So YES ... it is intentional :p

EDIT
    Ah sorry ... you made that off-topic comment for another post :D

EDIT 2
    also don't forget ... only the AoE is taking place not the arrow itself (where it would trigger if the arrow hits a target).

EDIT 3
    I support your thoughts on EA in PvP
    That is why i made those comments ... that was my position then and never changed until now. EA was changed to suit the game play of the noobs ... not the skilled rangers.

--MERGED--

Can someone merge this to the previous post ... my button i not working. i don't know why

Last edited by moderator: Nov 7, 2016
    sebastian_fl likes this.
  8. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

Merged.

I am moving this thread to "Speakers' Corner" section.

Cheers.

9. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

Its almost like closing the thread whatsoever :)

By doing that, do you mean its not a bug and its work as intented but let you guys debate if it is reasonable or not to have it or what? :)

I like we are in a partial agreement. Now lets chage it so it matches the description and also you can have it separately improved to match the playstyle of skilled rangers. More marked dmg, or whatever you prefer, as you hit the target. You guys know better than me what would make sense instead.

10. Llogos

Llogos Junior Expert

The EA works as it has to work. There is no bug on it and nothing is wrong. Nothing has to change about that skill in PvE or PvP. The ranger does not need more nerf. You did it already with the patch for the double damage. Great ''fixing'' while the rest classes can still do it..

PS: For the description of the skill... Shall I remind you people the MC? ''When you successfully mind control a foe, you can use all of your skills without activating their cooldown times for 1 second.'', and yet works even if the opponent has immune... That is not a bug? If for the EA according to you is a bug, then the same applies for the MC too. It is a bug.

PS2: It is not disadvantage at all, considering that the majority of SWs for example, are spamming fireballs from the other corner of the map.

11. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Forum Apprentice

Here's my suggestion:
    OK lets suppose it's not a bug. BUT why shouldn't it work the same with other aoe ranged skills. hmmm?
    Leets make fireball and heavy shot explode at end of trajectory as well.
    That'll be fun in pvp, hhhhmmm?
    I bet you that after a week of this, pvp will change into sniperfest where you almost never even see your opponent.
    Then everybody will call for normalization of skills (even RAs ;))

12. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

You are welcome to open separate thread on MC, but please leave this one alone if you have nothing to say on the subject.

MC, or double damage nerf, or anything else you mentioned has nothing to do with this topic, with EA and its description.

PS. The fireball has also nothing to do with this topic, even though the fireball deals less damage and requires a direct hit. The very same thing EA should require according to its description.

PS2. Another example of disadvantage, if you will, would be a 1v1 between two rangers, one skilled playing the Precision Shot trying to hit, while the other one spams the ground to deal that unavoidable damage.

PS3. There are multiple threads on improving the Ranger class. I would focus all my effort there, if wanted to make a difference. And I support all of them myself. For instance, https://board-en.drakensang.com/find-new/1741601/posts

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  13. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

Yes, it is not a bug.

Cheers.

14. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

Okay if so. Fair enough. Mind asking the Dev team to update descriptions in all the languages accordingly?

And this thread can be closed once it is done. Now, when we have formal answer, will use another thread to debate how reasonable that 'skill' is, as well as some others.

15. trakilaki

There are two major problems:
    1. They won't do it ... because that would mean everything they did so far is wrong. ("balancing" EA)
    2. There is a lack of space in the tooltip and many skills and talents have the same issue.

BTW ... when talking about EA ... I am talking only for the marking part and the explosion behavior when hitting marked targets.
    Exploding at the end of range is correct ... mainly because EA is the only skill that is missing targets even from close distance and even if you aim directly a target (cursor over target).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  16. -Skyfire-

-Skyfire- Someday Author

I've never used EA before but get hit by it at close range all the time. What do you mean by this?

17. dkarl

dkarl Forum Duke

I've been wondering about this for awhile ... the targeting system seems wonky overall, but especially frustrating with EA. I've often had the tip of the cursor hovered over a particular monster when I click on the key I've assigned to EA, only to have the arrow whiz past the target completely. That's a lot of concentration wasted for no results.

I also have other skills, e.g., HA and PS, target a monster other than the one at which I'm pointing, despite the fact that the original target is either stationary or at least moving at me in a straight line, so clearly not attempting to avoid my shot.

18. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

I have the same issue....to the point where my toon turns a 180 and shoots in the completely opposite direction. I look and can see my mouse pointer on the upper right but for some reason, I'm shooting lower left (as an example).

19. bLaind

bLaind Forum Baron

It happens when the foreplay is too intense. :oops:
    Jokes aside... Yesterday I was in a 3vs3 against 3 RAs, and... heck if I've seen them use any other skills except EA... Oh, they used the tree/wolfs and net.
    Now, how could I survive 3 EAs coming towards me from 3 different directions? Not a fun match. But then again it's not fun for them either when I kill them with one hit with the ground breaker explosion when they expect the stun only. :p
    I'm not asking for a nerf, I don't mind... much.

Tilwin90 likes this.
  20. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

With those noob skills like
    - EA random explosion at the end
    - Fireball burn you cannot cancel unless you move
    - noobs with ice sphere with 0.83 speed
    - DK explosion after death
    - Dwarf turrets shoting here and there
    - All those spawnables, spiders, knights, armor breakers
    - All those random thunders, lasers etc
    Pvp became the chaos of Random.

It was much much much cleaner before r155. And its getting worse with every spawnable they add to the mix with every event.

EA is only a bullet on my list of noob skills/abilities that are killing any fun in this game. (Not the ea itself, only its noob hitless explosion).

But since this is a game you guys (not you specifically, but others arguing, the mods, the dev) want, enjoy it without me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Troneck86 and MikeyMetro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.