folly of doing pvp with a mage

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Lordcl, Feb 18, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordcl

Lordcl Junior Expert

i wonder if any among the Draken designers has come to realise what sets apart mages? we mages have the weakest damage, armour and HP. what sets us apart is our ability to stun the enemy. tell me now if my stuns lasts half a second or can be reversed how the heck am i supposed to kill a a tank or a ranger??

something must be done about this. it is ruining the pvp for mages. the best of us die at 3 hits

2. Khoainong

Khoainong Someday Author

lol what a joke. What level pve/fame are you at?
    By the way, please post the stats of the person you call 'the best of us'? o_O

3. Zokin

Zokin Forum Expert

Lowest dmg?, weak stuns?, can't kill? Oo
    Shh dont encourage them to make a new nerfing. xD

4. Lordcl

Lordcl Junior Expert

can any of u deny that a ranger that is equal to you 2 hits u?

5. spiro_spula

spiro_spula Forum Connoisseur

Yes, Lordcl's character is super weak so the developers should definitely step in and make changes to the game to fix this problem. His mage is exactly the same as all the other mages on all the servers, and he controls it in exactly the same way, so what he is saying definitely applies to all the mages out there.
    Game code has to be rewritten to make this right, he just can't afford to gear up and practice using his skills 8)

cottoncandy likes this.
  6. Lordcl

Lordcl Junior Expert

i guess u all dont bother with reading the post at all.
    my one and only point is stun is what makes mages mages. and stun is pointless after a pvp skill lvl. so what is characteristic of a mage if you take away the stun?

Meph9 likes this.
  7. Geobli

Geobli Advanced

Mage is not about tanking enemies dmg, you must avoid it, the class is high agile one, also has a pretty good crystal to defend him when HP falls low. About dmg output, Mage has great dmg output.

"so what is characteristic of a mage if you take away the stun?"

More detailed, throw fire balls that has a big land radius and don't requires any combo 3x with 100 Mana, easy to hit with out wasting time at aiming that also cause burn and opponents will waste their stun negate skills to avoid burn, low cool down skills that negate stuns, also one fill mana and other stun/dmg at the same time. Move, hit, avoid, hit, stun, scare(meteor or singularity) and go on. :) A strong Mage has no problems in PvP, I'm not talking about stats only, but about how skilled a player is with that class.

-HARRA81- likes this.
  8. Khoainong

Khoainong Someday Author

I think he's just a new player complaining about what he does not fully comprehend

9. TheInfamous

TheInfamous Board Analyst

Mage isn't any more agile than the other classes. If anything, it's less agile. Ranger and DK have skills that increase travel speed, Dwarf has talent for extra 5% speed... Mage has none.

Mage is for constant stream of damage, unlike Ranger which is burst damage. Fastest replenishing energy, elemental damage, AoE armor break singularity, movement and attack speed slowing buffs. It is classified as a damage dealer. If the purpose is to just kill, Mage is what you're looking for.

All classes have their advantages but since this thread is about mages, I won't go on about those. If you really think that mages are only classes that encounter difficulties in PvP, try another class for a while. They all have troubles and money causes most of them.

cottoncandy likes this.
  10. Geobli

Geobli Advanced

A class being agile, isn't mean that must have run skill(that also has long cool down on other 2 classes) and run around without dealing any damage. :) Being able to negate debuffs (Frost Nova 20s(lower if it is talented) and Teleport 10s cooldowns) very often, moving constantly as the Fireball throws don't require much cast time or combo to deal damage, less aiming also cause of the 2 meter radius, best "jump", because after Teleport you are not standing like a dummy target, but keep moving, with low cool down, very good slow/stuns easy to land, because of that much agility Mage has no run skill/talent. I'm playing with all the 4 classes and for me the Mage is the most agile one without a comparison, even a DK can't catch a well build/talented/played Mage. Well, everyone have their opinion ofc. :)

P.S. SM(Dwarf) and his lack of stuns, makes his agility worthless. Can't deal any damage running.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. TheInfamous

TheInfamous Board Analyst

I get what you're saying. But you fail to understand that the skills which make the other classes run fast are also the skills that debuff them, which is a "double-whammy" if you will. I can use Frost Nova to debuff but I am still in the same place, and I can easily be slowed by another Ice Missile, or Hunting Arrow, which render my debuff useless. Teleport is the one thing mages have in terms of their mobility, but it is barely different from the other classes. And whatever advantage Teleport may have over Rage Jump, Dive, or Rocket Jump, is lost when you compare the other classes' travel speed bonuses.

As for casting times, I am quite sure Rangers shoot faster than us Mages. I played on ranger and shooting Precision shots at fast attack speed was as if I were shooting 3 of them simultaneously. Mage with same attack speed shot fireballs at an alarmingly slower rate. But these are all just advantages/disadvantages of each class. We can't compare one by one and say which is better.

I agree with your statement on SM. They have almost no stuns. C14 is very slow and can easily be avoided by someone with a cooled down jump. And the other, which requires a talent, is also very slow and has a delayed effect... but SM was meant to be this way, they are very different from the other classes. All classes can play hit-and-run, SM included, and deal damage doing so. In a chase, the one being chased has the advantage. A SM running away can easily turn back and do massive damage to whoever is following the very moment that they are vulnerable.

12. dragonlordz

dragonlordz Junior Expert

Well.....to start with mage is probably one of the best in the game....although we cannot tank shots/get hit often we do have the unique ability to annoy the life out of players, the amount of comments i get in 1v1 from dk is hilarious.....the balance between each character in this game is almost equal, you guys may not see it but i have all 4 classes and they all have their own trates in pvp.....1v1 sw can kill dk no problem if you have lvl 35 pvp, jump away shoot stun shoot etc, ranger run and power shoot, dk run stun hit run away and wait for stuns again, dddwarf.....yeah maybe he does just suck lol but in 5v5 with lvl 43 skill he runs with flag and good luck stopping him lol.....all classes do really well in pvp, the combination of skill in pve makes having each class in a group really fun to play with. All in all if you are struggling in pvp try building him up more, you are not likely to survive each map on top of the table, if you have an epic character but still come bottom maybe that clas isnt for you, good luck guys ;)

Geobli and Zokin like this.
  13. Geobli

Geobli Advanced

Precision Shots are not that fast, mostly getting hit by others while shooting Precision.

"...you fail to understand that the skills which make the other classes run fast are also the skills that debuff them..."

I don't fail at all. :D I ofc and know that, but you know how long cool down those skills have? They are not the best for "clean" yourself. :)

"...because of that much agility Mage has no run skill/talent..."

I explained why Mage don't have such skill. This will destroy the balance between classes and make them OP, like the HP regeneration for DK destroys the balance between classes after time ends in 1v1 & 3v3. :)

"...annoy the... ...players..."

True Story. :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  14. Ash

Ash Advanced

I have one of each class but my DK is only lvl15.

I understand what the OP is saying about the stuns after a certain Fame lvl. My mage is strong and I think I'm skilled well enough, so I win many more battles than lose. So no complaints from me lol

However, stun is super important for mage. I think, damage and stun are the mages strong points. In PvE it's the crowd control why groups want us.

Despite my very good stats for my lvl, against a strong DK who debuffs and has that scary travel speed skill, I really really struggle. I even have 10% travel speed on my boots and high armor for a mage!

So a mage not as strong, tanked, or fast as me? Well, I totally understand. Our stuns could do with a tiny boost in some way in those upper levels.

My lvl23 ardent centurion Mage gets matched against lvl27 NKoTo DKs constantly. I just groan every time. I can shrug it off, got to lose some battles right? ;) But I sympathise because I know that I'm strong and still struggle so it is a real issue for other mages.

15. Paulusvonkrossov

Paulusvonkrossov Exceptional Talent

Well, strongest friends I have in DSO are mages, so this was pretty good joke :)
    And believe me, that I´m not weak ranger ;)

16. Lordcl

Lordcl Junior Expert

finally someone actually read my post. thank you Ash. this has always been about what happens to mages after 35 lvl on the fame. it seems to me it affects the mages most as mages rely on stuns the most.

17. spiro_spula

Actually, SW stuns last long enough for a lightning strike to land. That is if you take virtuoso and both stun length skills. Or you can have short stuns.

18. Ash

Ash Advanced

But isn't stun length irrelevant when the other player can reverse it immediately?

19. spiro_spula

Not after you put both of his/her debuffs on cooldown. It is difficult but can be done. Some people will debuff a fireball/meteor burn, some will do the same when slowed down with ice bolt, which is great because you still have two stuns and they have one debuff.

20. Ash

Ash Advanced

Oh ok.
    Yes, bit difficult, and relying on them being over-zealous with their debuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.