Fps Drop In Certain Maps

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Zigan, Apr 11, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Zigan

Zigan Forum Apprentice

Hi, I have fps drop when im in some specific maps(kingshill, Resistance Command Center). As you can see my cpu and gpu usage around 50%. So I guess I can say that there is no bottleneck. When I go to kingshill I have low fps. But other maps I have 60.
    These are my RivaTuner data; Cardhun
    [​IMG]
    Kingshill
    [​IMG]
    And this is my system:
    Asus P7H55-M LX Mainboard
    Intel Xeon CPU X3430 @2.40GHz
    Asus Strix GTX 750 Ti OC Edition
    8 Gb DDR3 Ram
    160 Gb SSD

2. thiccboi21

thiccboi21 Forum Greenhorn

Hello I started playing on my new gaming PC with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 graphics card. Drakensang runs great most of the time at like 100 fps on max graphics, however when I enter a city area (especially Kingshill) my fps drops to around 30-40 (which is really noticeable and annoying).

I am sure that it is not a hardware or bottlenecking related issue as it's a brand new PC and every other game I play such as EDIT etc. runs perfectly at max graphics apart from DSO. I also faced the same issue on different hardware (my laptop) which has an AMD Radeon gpu so the issue can't be with my PC. Oh, and by the way, my friend has the same issue with a GTX 1060 gpu.

I think it is pretty ridiculous that my PC can run any new graphic intensive game but not a 7 year old game like DSO, which is a shame as I really like the gameplay etc. Please could the developers do something about this such as optimise city areas...

P.S: I actually spend a lot of time in cities and hate having a laggy experience only there, especially given how expensiv/powerful my hardware is, so please don't just write my complaint off as unimportant.

Thanks for the help ;)

Last edited by moderator: Apr 13, 2018
    Zigan likes this.
  3. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

First of all ... no one is going to answer your question because there is no answer to a general question without any given technical backup. Even if you provide that ... you won't get an answer because these forums are not place for tech geeks who are answering tech-related questions. This section is called "technical support" indeed ... but it is meant to provide help for game related issues. What you are asking is not a game related issue. There are minimum system specs provided by the game makers and that's it. You can play the game using any PC configuration which is fulfilling the minimum requirements.
    You can ask the the support a same question ... but i doubt you will get an answer there too.
    Neither mods nor support staff are having technical background nor they are IT certified.

The general answer can be broken down into 2 pieces:
    - the game
    - your gear

The game
    The game itself has been made long time ago (the core - engine) but that doesn't mean it should require less powerful hardware.
    One can only give a general answer without getting deeper into it ... because no one (outside dev team) can't give an answer for something they don't know. One can only guess.
    It is true that the game is acting like it is not well optimized ... but that is probably because they are adding new contents and technologies over the old code again and again. Decorating an empty room from scratch is a lot more easier .... rather than re-decorating an already decorated room.

Your gear
    A lot of people are not even familiar with their own gear/system and they don't know how to optimize it for best performances. But that is OK ... because not everyone is computer geek. What can you do in such situation? Ask someone who knows these things or search on net. There are many good tutorials.
    I am quite sure you got scammed and ripped off :D
    If it is expensive doesn't mean it is good. Also from the wording you have used I can tell for sure that you have bought prebuilt PC. another mistake. That is how those companies are making tons of money ... prebuilt configurations are always overpriced ... because all components are overpriced especially at higher range prices. On top of it they are almost always made in the way so they can squeeze every single dime from you and still get you a crappy hardware.
    Always make your own configuration and select the components on your own or ask someone else to do it for you.
    You don't need I7 CPU or latest graphic cards to get best performance.
    I am still using few years old PC (assembled by myself) and I bet i am getting same performance as your PC has (DSO related of course).

And here comes the answer ... you already answered it yourself
    This game is not graphic intensive game but CPU hungry/intensive ... open world games are GPU intensive but DSO is not an open world game.
    so the answer would be : the reason why is this happening is probably because the game is not being optimized because of the reasons ^ a mentioned earlier ... and it is overloading your CPU.
    But like I said earlier ... no one can give you 100% correct answer .... and don't expect such questions to be answered in this forum.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. piteris2

piteris2 Regular

Hi Trakilaki,
    Thanks very much for your reply, I was getting worried as it seemed no one had noticed this thread.
    The point I was trying to make when writing this was that, at least for me, this has been a very mysterious ongoing issue. I ran the game on multiple hardware devices and still faced the same fps issues. By mentioning my PC and the graphics card, I wasn't trying to brag but rather to explain how even the very latest computer hardware has problems with this game, which I at first found surprising as I'm used to playing more mainstream AAA games and not facing any issues performance-wise. I still hope the developers actually spend time working on this for the sake of new players so that they won't face such problems like me and give up and quit the game.
    Nonetheless, thanks for reading my post and shedding some light on the issue ;)

5. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

this have never happened to me before, until yerterday
    here you can see how the game performs on some cities (kingshill, grimford (i didnt test any other))

and i thought my graphics drivers were broken so i uninstalled them but the lags persisted so i checked every thing i made on my pc on the last day and i saw this

[​IMG]

so i uninstalled that update and now the lag has gone
    this is how it looks now

Dragonnns likes this.
  6. piteris2

piteris2 Regular

Strange, I installed the same update but didn’t experience any issues because of that particular Windows update. Are you playing using integrated graphics (e.g. Intel HD ....) or dedicated graphics (Nvidia Geforce, etc.)?

7. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

APU
    AMD A8 7600 (Radeon R7)

piteris2 likes this.
  8. trakilaki

I have uninstalled the updates back to Windows 7 and i have no issues :)

That is just an "update" for Internet Explorer it has got nothing to do with Windows. On top of that that "update" has been released just recently ... but this thread is more than 8 months old.
    "Update" - read it as "we forgot to open a spying backdoor previously in IE ... so we are opening it now with this patch".
    Thanks a lot Microandsoft ... i will stick to W7 as far as I can and then I will ditch the spying OS for good.

ΣMiwel likes this.
  9. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

i know its an internet explorer update but somehow it affected this game, or so it seems..

i reinstalled the update and the lag came back so i uninstalled it again and.. now the lag stayed
    i got 60 fps in cardhun and 5 fps in grimford
    i restarted the pc but the lag was still there so i cleaned every possible thing with ccleaner (files and registry, didnt deleted game files) then i restarted again and now the lag has gone,
    i dont know whats happening but im not installing that thing again

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  10. piteris2

piteris2 Regular

You are right in using Windows 7 for older games, especially Drakensang. The developers never seemed to take into account the then-inevitable release of Windows 10 which meant that the game is optimised far better for older operating systems than for newer ones.

Another important thing I discovered recently is that if you play DSO using a higher refresh-rate monitor than 60Hz (for example, 144Hz as I am using now) I can achieve frames per second above 60FPS. Whereas before my FPS was capped to 60, now it is capped to 144FPS which makes perfect sense. Obviously, for you to achieve the highest possible FPS you will need more than capable hardware.
    What about graphics drivers. Sometimes Windows messes them up. Also are you using the client or browser? For me the client works much better.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  11. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

client and browser and drivers from amd site and from windows update, no difference

12. trakilaki

Gaming is shifting from being OS dependent ... the new technology has been made or it is about to be made where games would not be dependent on your OS.

piteris2 likes this.
  13. Arr

Arr Forum Expert

apparently it was a coincidence and that specific patch had nothing to do with lags, but i noticed something weird, when the lag was going on, i could open the windows setting / update & security and after 1 or 2 seconds the lag dissapeared, until the next pc reboot.

now i updated windows to build 18309 1 week ago and this stopped happening
    maybe because of this?

• We fixed an issue where the cmimanageworker.exe process might hang, causing system slowness or higher than normal CPU usage.

it still strange to me that lag affects only some specific cities

14. piteris2

piteris2 Regular

I think all the old cities such as Kingshill, Resistance Command Center, etc. were badly coded when the game was released and with each successive patch/expansion the newer cities, such as Cardhun, were coded better (I have no idea how) so they lag less...

15. Novadude

Novadude Commander of the Forum

Kind of strange, but I am finding that I get better fps with the Intel igpu (hd 4600 on the i7-4700hq) than with my nvidia 860m. It might be a sign that my GPU is burning out as I am getting the same problems on other games.

Try playing around with your graphics options if you can force a switch between the discrete and integrated options.