Gear question

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by sirsquishy, May 9, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

Quick question about where to find decent gear. I've read through various threads and the wiki page so I figured that being in the mid to late 30's was a good spot to stop and really concentrate on gear.

However, the levels up to Temple seem to drop tons of green gear with low stats. Very few blue and even less purple. Some suggested partnering with others to do gorga, which I did, but other than leveling up even faster, still no decent gear drops.

It seems that the best gear drops in the pw, but without some decent gear to begin with, getting through those worlds would be pretty difficult. It's a catch 22.

I tried the workbench a couple of times but quickly learned that the cost wasn't worth it.

At this point all of my gear is lower than my level, some as much as 8 levels below, but I can't seem to find anything better that is higher.

I have done Sigris a little over 100 times solo but again get mostly green gear. If I solo gorga I have to use blue ess which seems like a waste at this point, but again the gear drops don't help, plus I keep leveling up and that only makes my current gear look even weaker.

Is there a place that someone can suggest where I can spend time farming with a just little hope of finding at least some better blue or maybe even some purple gear?

Hawkslayer likes this.
  2. thedarkestlight

thedarkestlight Advanced

Well,I would recommend to you farm either eternal watch,or as u said temple sector.
    In temple sector you can get a pink almost every other run,and you can get legends and uniques as well there.
    Imo gorga or sigri farming for gear is not worth to farm for gear.

3. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

Well I've been running Temple and have been leveling up quite fast, but still having no luck finding decent gear. I stopped taking quests, but running Temple gives me almost 60,000 exp points per run and that adds up fast. I've gone from 36 to 40 in just a couple of days all without finding much in the way of usable gear. I did get 1 unique, the deep sea sword, but for the most part I am still using mostly green/blue level 32-37 gear.

Hawkslayer likes this.
  4. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

I am in the same boat as you are. I don't know from where to get good gear for my DK (level 41).
    Lots of gear gets dropped in Temple but mostly with crappiest stats that you can ever imagine (like +5 damage rings or helmets with +50 armor).
    If I farm Heredur I can find level 14-17 items with much better stats. Seriously!

5. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

You're implying that gear from temple somehow has lower stats than gear from other locations. That is inaccurate. Location has no factor on stats.

I'm assuming that you are able to kill mobs your own level. The ALWAYS perfect place to farm is Backborg and Varholm especially if you are premium for the additional cubes. The mobs will be your level, XP is good, and drop rates for Gems and Legs are equiv to PW's(smaller stacks) but mobs are easier to kill. I prefer Blackborg to Varholm simply because the map is linear.

After tiring of Gorga in the mid 40's I live there to level alts and your frag count should be significant to run it at will if you have been farming all along as you leveled. At level 43 the quests will only cover about 2 bars and at 44 they will cover a little over 5. You will need a place to farm and the moon maps are great options.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Tigraine-Mantear and Blindsenses like this.
  6. Blindsenses

Blindsenses Forum Apprentice

I will second that, Backborg is a fabulous place to farm for gear. I get around 2 to a max of 4 cubes per run and lots of exo items. As for legendaries, i don't know if it's random or not but for like 2 months now, i get 1 legendary in the first or second run and then, no matter how much more time i spend farming there none more is dropping. @BigPapa did u get more than 1-2 per day?

BigPapa likes this.
  7. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Hard to pin down what the drop rate is, some days I get 1 in 20 runs and some days I get 1 every 3 or 4 runs.

For the cubes: it can be hard to resist, but I start saving mine at level 43 as they will have much higher potential for good items at 45. I have a DK that is less than a bar from 45 and has somewhere just over 150 saved. It's like a big congratulations fest when you get to open them all and hopeful upgrade gear and gems immediately.

Blindsenses likes this.
  8. Blindsenses

Blindsenses Forum Apprentice

I did this with my mage, got like 250. After opening them all, is logged out and created a DK... that good were the items inside :D

I am still waiting on my Dk to drop one of those godly 2h swords from cubes with which i will troll all the corners of the forum >:)))

9. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

In my situation the gear that I got mid 30's have been better than the ones at 39-41. At least so far. A person in the game told me to save my frags for the ess events instead of the moon events as the potential gear is better. Reading the forum has provided me with the idea that left hand items should be dmg/crit and right hand more armor/health and any containing dmg is a bonus. So far since moving to maps in the 39-40 range, I have not found any gear that is really any better than what I got between 32-37. Could simply be lack of luck on my part to date, but the more I farm, the higher my level gets and worse my gear looks.

I can solo temple without ess, but still need to use health and blue ess to fight gorga or go with a group, but the drops don't seem to worth that effort at this point. I can do above water map with just the green ess, but again so far the drops leave a lot to be desired.

My concern is that I'll reach lvl 43 without having the necessary gear to run those maps solo and finding groups for regular maps is quite difficult a lot of the time.

Looking at the thread on what is needed for pw runs, I'm a long ways off, but it seems that is what is necessary to find the better gear, so I'm in a catch 22 at the moment.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Hawkslayer likes this.
  10. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Find that person and give him a good trashing. :D
    For the Dragan event you don't need realm fragments at all.

11. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

Sorry, I looked at my notes, I was told save frags for red ess events where the gear is better.

Here's what I'm up against. I ran Atlantis above water and got 6 green, 3 blue and 1 purple. Not the best run I've had on this map, but close to average.

[​IMG]

Here is what I get when I do manage to get a purple item. While adding health and resistance would be very nice, losing 80 armor and 2 gem spots doesn't encourage me to do so. What I am left with is mostly blue and green gear.

[​IMG]

Hawkslayer likes this.
  12. thedarkestlight

thedarkestlight Advanced

Well then i suggest you find a grp. and farm sigri hard,you can get exo and legendary gear on every run.Thats how i transferred my below average DK to atleast an average DK.

13. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Sorry but I think that is bad advise. Although the Ess gear has utility and can be combined with other items to make it good, ignoring the uniques in the moon events simply to amass a full stack of frags unneeded. Not to mention by the time the ess event rolls around you should have tons of frags and will have skipped several opportunities in the moon maps. Even if there is only a one week warning it is coming you can farm enough to do the event.

I understand your pain and the catch 22 you're in. I think DK is the hardest to group effectively in the high 30's low 40's just because of your expected roll and inability to take the hits and do enough damage to keep agro. I find it easier to solo than to group. It can be frustrating to finally get a drop and it rolls out crappy stats. Be patient, stay with it and things will happen with time. The more you farm and fight to get drops the better your chances are to find useable items. Also, realize it is a continuous process, if you upgrade from level 35 gear to level 40 gear you will have to do it again at 45, and we will ALL be doing it with the expansion.

Stick with it, we all went trough it(some several times:p) There are no secrets, kill more stuff to get more stuff.

EDIT: I'll look for ya when im online. You seem like a good guy. We'll go destroy gorga and sigi hard and get you some gear.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Tigraine-Mantear likes this.
  14. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

Thanks BigPapa, I would appreciate that. I've only been playing 2 weeks so far and have really enjoyed it so far. I love the challenge of fighting the various monsters and looking for good gear. I expect it will take some time before I am ready to play tank for a group but I enjoy looking at some of the really OP gear that is shown in this section and hope that sooner or later the DSO gods will smile on me and give me one :p

Once I open up some more inventory space and locker space, I'll start spending some of the frags farming the moon sections.

By glancing on the wiki page it would seem the Sargon set is one of the best, but I gather that event no longer happens. The Dragan set seems to be the next best. I still have lots to explore and loads of time do to it, so staying patient seems to be the key in this game.

Hawkslayer likes this.
  15. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

You are probably correct BigPapa that the location has no relevance to the quality of dropped gear. May be I was so unlucky so far to not get good gear drops from Temple.
    I have hunted Temple much longer than anywhere else, but I have had no luck with good drops so far.
    I just hunted a couple of runs in Hailstone Mountains yesterday to complete the part of cloak quest and got a legendary gloves level 31 which had much better stats than the level 41 pink gloves that I was wearing.

16. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

Thanks to Bigpapa and Crazymomma my little DK made some significant gains last night. Luck was on my side in both Gorga and Sigris picking up 1 unique shield and 1 leg gloves. I also got to upgrade everything to at least purple.

My armor increased by 50%, my health by 100%, and my dmg by 20%. I lost 4% crit and some resistance, but overall I believe that I am on the right track and now I just have to patiently wait for one of those wickedly op swords to drop :p

It's going to be a while before I am able to tank or pull agro, but their advice was spot on and their help was and is certainly appreciated...

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  17. Novadude

Novadude Commander of the Forum

Full moon is really valuable for DKs (and steam mechanicus as well). Vargulf shield is one of the best DK shields in the game, only thing better are 2-1, 3-1 and 2-2 shields.

Vargulf set is also very useful for flag running DKs in 5v5.

Additionally, if your stats, especially damage, get high enough, the vargulf event map becomes really easy to solo. My DK uses it to build up drakens as the cost is relatively cheaper in realm frags compared to the new moon event.

18. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

The early in game advice I received wasn't the best, but luckily some good people found me and have corrected that. I'll be farming wood for the upcoming event.

19. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

And that is what the forums are for... correcting bad in-game advice with advice from people who have been playing this game far too long and thought way to hard about best practices. I'm glad that some of the veteran players from the forums on your server were able to help. Good luck and keep farming!

Hawkslayer likes this.
  20. sirsquishy

sirsquishy Junior Expert

It's made a huge difference. While there are some complaints about the Tegan server and it can be a tad lonely in certain spots, there are some truly helpful people who will lend a hand. I've grouped with some who know that I am new and cannot offer much more help than being able to stun some monsters, but they do so willingly.

I've been farming hard for the upcoming moon event and managed to get a couple of upgrades. It's going to be a long journey to be able to keep up with the big boys and girls, but it gives me a challenge that I look forward to. I've joined a great and helpful guild who make me feel invincible as long as they are standing in front of me :D and they are helping me make my first trips through the parallel worlds where the better gear may be found.

With all the good advice that I'm now getting it won't be long before I won't be so squishy.

Hawkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.