Invitation Etiquette..am i the jerk here?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Charkol, Dec 23, 2013.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkol

Charkol Forum Apprentice

Ive never joined a guild till i was about lvl 43-44. Thought of this game as mostly 'my' solo game. After leaving another game that was strictly guild based..wanted a break from it.

So this was supposed to be my relaxing game..and i went solo on everything 98% of the time. I'd even skip Heredur till i was strong enough to kill him (as sw, didnt know about how to do it back then ;) )

Anyways to the point:
    I get slighty annoyed when ppl who i dont know randomly inv me. I click no of course. Then they do it again. Now im pissed off. And am now going to put them on ignore list from now on.
    Hell i dont even like when my friends inv me without asking 1st what the deal is.

"I" have always asked a person, 'hey..want to do cata pw 4/5' ..ect.

Am i being silly or what?
    I seriously dont mind helping someone..and often do.
    A person might whisper me and say, 'sir (i love that..so polite) ..would you help me kill khaly/Herald..ect?'
    I'll 90% of the time say yes, just once thou. (im not gonna help you farm a boss)
    So im not anal ALL the time...just ASK 1st! Am i right??

2. Talicni

Talicni Forum Connoisseur

Why so frustrated relax and enjoy :)
    If it's bothering you when some1 sends you an inv to group put him on ignore as you did, I don't find anything annoying about that, I enjoy helping ppl with events/quests/farming/pvp most of ppl dont speak English very well and as shortcut they just inv you then try to explain what they want.

_G_R_A_M_P_S_ likes this.
  3. Zokin

Zokin Forum Expert

Yes you are right, i too hate that spam invitations. And talicni i dont agree with you, if they dont speak english, then they can say, m1?,m2? etc. Even if they are russians (most of them dont speak eng) and dont use english alphabet, the hell with it, i understand a cyrillic too. It's a simple manner and personally, i hate it when is bypassed.

4. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

I have to agree with Charkol and Zokin on this one. Sorry, Talicni but the language thing does not hold up in this case, especially with higher level players. I played several hours of the event yesterday with one of my DK's and an SW. During that time there was no chat between us since we did not know each others language.

But before the invite the was one word he (or she) understood, "Event."

I really dislike blind invites. First thing I do when I get one is to open chat to see who has been talking. Then I open the invite to see if that person has said anything in chat in any language. If not then I click NO. This is just laziness on a players part to spam invites without making some attempt to communicate what they want.

To me it's basically about common courtesy. Dropping blind invites with no attempt to communicate implies that the player's mindset is, "it's all bout me." Players like that typically do not make good group members anyway so it's not only rude but a waste of time.

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

5. Talicni

Ok fair enough :) I respect your opinions ofc, but I usually accept blind invitations cause some of them turn out te be very nice ppl and I helped out a few after which they were using Google translate or some other way to communicate that means they tried at least and that is what i respect from those who don't even speak English, ofc i leave group if I see that they have no intention of even trying to communicate with me, so in general I don't mind them, but I will probably reach a point when I wont be able to stand it anymore :p

6. lizardglenn

lizardglenn Forum Greenhorn

If they are rude enough to send an invite without asking or telling me why/what for in the first place the person has no concept of manners or thinks it is ok to disrespect me by not using any

not to mention the ones that will keep spamming invites no matter how many times you decline 3 times gets them on the ignore list

thankfully they fixed things so that now you cant be invited by someone on the ignore list

quite simple really you want to borrow something i own in this case my time ask first

what IS needed is a way to only get an invite from people you know (a switch/toggle/setting)

7. crimsondeath

crimsondeath Forum Greenhorn

First things first, hello to MikeyMetro! Been awhile :)

Moving on, I agree on MikeyMetro with this one, but, there are times that the said "spam inviter" may have been waiting for such a long time that he/she may have had been just too tired from waiting (thus the laziness).

But also, with that being said, it is always favourable for someone to always advertise and/or explain the reason behind the invitation. Just common courtesy :)

8. Ash

Ash Advanced

Wow, a lot of assumptions... laziness, rude, disrespect...
    Putting aside reasonable excuses of language (including English speakers who think everyone around them isn't), shyness, asked-so-many-times-without-a-response-so-now-trying-direct-invites.........., how about that some decent, polite, and friendly players just think that's how it's done?

I try never to assume anything. Makes life easier ;)

The only issue I take is with spamming invites. Simple, block.

The other invites are usually once. If I accept I send a ? and if no response I leave. But as others have said above and to me in-game, I have met really nice people by random invites.

You should try being a low-level female in Kingshill, and getting constantly hit on. Now that is something worth complaining about. Even then, I simply blocked if it got silly. Nothing worth getting worked up over.

enjoy 2014!

9. Superme

Superme Forum Pro

For me it is a simple matter of courtesy. You need help, you ask. While there are many persons who are willing to help; it helps if the person needing help whispers to the person to whom they are inviting. In many cases person are not waiting about idly in hope that someone will randomly invite them to a group, and have no idea where they are heading. It is a pet peeve of mine to be sent a group invitation without me knowing who the invite is from or where we are going. Further, I hate it when a low a level send an invite to an event knowing the event will be scaled to my level and all they will basically be doing is collecting loot. Do not think I am opposed to helping lower level, I will help a lower level with a boss once s/he understands that the only xp s/he will gain is at the point of turning in the quest. But to reiterate, it does not hurt to whisper first.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Charkol likes this.
  10. Charkol

Charkol Forum Apprentice

Well im glad i wasnt alone in thinking its rude/lazy to spam invites. Like i said, its slightly annoying to not get a whisper 1st..highly irritating to get 2-3 times asked again after declining. And like i said, im very likely to help if asked.

Ash, i kinda feel your pain..getting hit on. I have a female sw yet im male..so ya, think in the past some guys have been 'extra' nice until they learn im male.
    BUT, if i was female..im sure i'd be hot..just like all female gamers XD

multitoonz likes this.
  11. Charkol

Charkol Forum Apprentice

One more thing, for those wondering why i chose the female SW?
    Ya, was hoping for toon cleavage -.-
    I'm weird like that (need that damn pink dress!)

12. Superme

Superme Forum Pro

On a side Charkol, I know of several males who don female characters .I got caught early until they became friends. For some of them it gives a psychological advantage in PVP as some persons assume that the females will be be a walk over.

13. Talicni

I always found females the harder once to beat, who knows haha xD

14. Superme

Superme Forum Pro

Maybe it were the males dressed as female you were fighting Talicini. Hahaha :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.