Let's talk inventory

Discussion in 'Speakers‘ Corner' started by Akageshi, Jul 25, 2019.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Hi. I'm ill.
    But I believe I'm not alone. Go on, admit it, you hoarder!

The entire completely unlocked storage space you have in DSO is:

• 224 slots in your "bagpack"
    • 140 slots at Levander's

That is 364 slots to store whatever you want.

On top of that, in certain patches, many items got moved from the backpack/Levander to the currency bag, collector's bag, and to the ingredient bag.

Yet, I still have no flipping room :| Literally 0.
    How the heck is that even possible?!

So I went ahead and counted everything.
    I sorted my crap into 5 different groups:

1. buffs, essences, potions, keys, other consumables
    2. gems and runes
    3. event items
    4. unique items
    5. items for crafting: pinks and legs

Let's have a look and judge how ill I am.

• Ad 1. 82 items. I believe you wouldn't throw any of these away.
    • Ad 2. 13 items. No big deal. I'm keeping first 2 tiers of each gem + 3 runes that I cant socket ATM.
    • Ad 3. 57 items. My mindset here is this: I grinded events in the past. I farmed all kinds of items and I want to keep them, so I can use them next time the event comes. Maybe I won't have to grind as much!
    • Ad 4. 88 items. Now this one is hard to defend. Uniques? Why?! They are mostly useless! and yes, you are right. BUT! there is still a reason for me to keep them: Uniques don't drop as much now - I mean boss specific ones. And with transmog coming this year probably, it'll be a good thing to have all these uniques ready, no? I know, I know, it's 3 pages of... potentially COSMETIC STUFF?!?! Argh bloody heck...
    • Ad 5. 131 items. Well, as most of these have really nice platinum lines, who in their right mind would dump these? Sure, sure, I'm also keeping a few quivers and shoulders... you know, just in case! What if these are useful one day! ... God, help me.
    So anyway, there you go. All these together make 371 items, so I'm overflowing into my 3 day premium bag... amazing...

The solution

1. Stop hoarding, you fool!
    But I just can't help it :[
    Plus a lot of my crap is actually useful or even necessary...
    2. Add more inventory space!
    a. I don't know if it is technically possible.
    b. I don't think it would help in long term. New items will always be added, or my crafting items will accumulate even more, who knows.
    3. Make items stack indefinitely! All items. Potions, essences, keys, what have you. 5 stacks of something would be one. 23 stacks of it would be one as well.
    a. I don't know if it is technically possible.
    4. Make a new section in the ingredients bag to store ingredients that are associated with events!
    Mainly the Kingshill Sewers came with quite a few such items.
    This would help just a bit, but maybe in the future, if there are any new events that handle items in a similar way like the KS, it might become more helpful than now.​

5. Make a gems & runes section in the ingredients bag!
    This might help other people more than me. People who have all kinds of gems and keep messing with them all the time.
    Gems are becoming an ingredient these days anyway...
    6. When transmog arrives, items that I want to make a skin out of, can be moved into the collector's bag as skin items.
    This wouldn't cure my illness, but it could help a bit.

Thanks for reading. My diagnosis is indeed terrible. At least I admit that...

Anyway, if you have any more ideas how to help ill people like me, please feel free to share.

2. ΣMiwel

ΣMiwel Forum Ambassador

Hit surprisingly close to home...

Solutions 2-6 are actually very good... even if they have all been proposed as standalone features before, I think.

Aside of that, I'd add
    Solution 7a.:
    With the exceedingly large amount of crap dropping, that we have to sell (or melt, as long as we have the smelter from BGH), at least some of it could be dropping as tiered "extraordinary equipment" etc.
    OR
    Solution 7b.:
    Make the crafting return all the four items on "revert" and this way make it less item hungry. Then increase the spawn rate of platinum lines and lower the amount of crap dropping.

MikeyMetro and Akageshi like this.
  3. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

In any case, I can't play now. I have no room. And as I have no gold which I need for crafting, which might as well help me making a little bit more room, I need to farm items to sell, which I can't due to no room in the bag :[

I could of course get rid of some of my hoarded items, but I do remember when the patch that added the collector's bag arrived. People had sold or thrown away all kinds of costumes and emotes and stuff, not having a clue they could have kept those and add them to the new bag. So then they had to farm or purchase the items again.

And I'm kind of afraid if I dump some of my things, I'll never be able to get them again when there is room for them. Typically my 88 uniques. Some of them are useful, like better base values than the respective versions I'm wearing, only lower tier; some of them are pretty, soon to be used as skins; and some of them are not useful now, but what if? What of one-hand is a thing soon? We don't know... And now, what if I sell or melt them? What if I will never get them in drop again? R220 has shown how impossible the drop can be, and it can still be even worse :[

So basically, whatever solution we can come up with, and no matter if BP actually picks one or more of our ideas and implement them, it won't happen in the next patch, or this year... It may happen in 2021, or never. What shall I do then? Should I really sacrifice my hard farmed items?

4. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

Among the reasons I stopped actively playing this game, storage was one of them. Albeit a secondary issue, it was just one more hassle that that moved me from being entertained to being frustrated.

Of all the games I play this is the only one where storage is part of the P2W. Pay a monthly fee to max out storage... really?

Akageshi likes this.
  5. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

If they gave players more storage and bigger stacks they would be forced to come up with new ways to clog it up.

Lowering the frustration level is not what DSO does.

Akageshi likes this.
  6. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Ye, and I'm seriously thinking about quitting too. Because the only thing I can do at the moment, is either stand around in a town and do nothing; or dump some of my things which I'm afraid I will regret sooner or later; or use up all my hoarded 3-day premium/premium deluxes, which would help for 2-3 weeks or so, but not much, because 28 or 48 extra slots don't really make your farming that much more convenient; or purchase premium.

And I will not purchase premium to get more space, because it's A. not enough, and B. it's too much money to put into a game like this, I'm sorry BP :/ DSO does not give me enough for me to pay a subscription fee. I bought andermant a few times in the past, that has to be enough :[

And as for A. it's not enough, it really isn't. Regular premium gives you 28 extra slots, deluxe gives you 28 + 20. It helps. A tiny little bit, but not enough.
    Jeez now I'm putting my tinfoil on, hoping that BP won't read this and react by simply doubling the extra premium inventory...

That's right.

Of course, all this inventory getting clogged up, is not direct. BP is not telling me to fill it to brim. But I think we all know how it goes. Due to this mechanic and that mechanic, we need to collect this and that. Crafting -> collect stuff. Events -> collect stuff. And so on. There's always something, right?

MikeyMetro likes this.
  7. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

ikr, that would be true to form for them :rolleyes:

So this is worth mentioning again;
    Sometimes I just do not get the player base here. I mean there are tons of "p2w" and "cash grab" comments made but this one is like the elephant in the room that no one talks about. I recall a long time ago when premium was changed to include storage there were some comments about how silly it was to rent storage... but since then nothing.