Need some advice on tank build

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Rhysingstar, Jan 9, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

To break up the monotony of farming, I decided to start working on a good 1H build. However, there are not a ton of examples of a good build since the great nerfing of 155. I don't pvp since they stripped away the rewards, but I am interested in seeing what's possible to do 1 handed.

So I figured that I would ask and see what I should be working on. Here are my current stats with Dragan set and wolf shield. I've maxed out the HP points, and could get up a little over 2 speed if I drop my dmg down to 1000 max.

Without any speed points (I have 4 speed points clicked) my speed drops to 1,45 and my dmg goes to 1320-1494. I chose the 1,52 because of the speed break for rage swing. I know 1,52 is not exactly needed for pve, but having gone 2 handed for so long, it's nice to see my little DK swinging fast :eek:

[​IMG]

Mario_Boss likes this.
  2. Troneck86

Troneck86 Forum Great Master

If you are wanting to farm Fatal PW, I find a DK that uses the Aggro Skill is the most efficient way to farm it. If you can tank all of the incoming damage (and you can with those defensive stats), it allows everyone else in the group to go full DPS and use good positioning to avoid the stray shots. Increasing your speed to 2+ would be ideal to build enough rage to constantly cast the Aggro Skill.

Unless, of course, you are talking about solo farming.

3. Rhysingstar

I would like to see the aggro skill be tweaked a little (last a bit longer) but since it is attached to hp recovery, I don't expect any changes to come to it.

I'm still trying to get used to going 1 handed and since there aren't many stats posted I'm not sure what to really work towards.
    I wish that we had a 1h thread so I could get an idea of how others were setting up. Speed is nice, I would love to have more crit, but since most tanks only need to stand there spamming the aggro skill it seems pointless.

Going 1h at least gives me a good reason to look at different sets and gear which makes farming a little more interesting. It isn't nearly as fast as going 2h, but it is kind of fun to change up.

Currently I can solo through the hard and harder maps using just green ess using this 1h set up, which is nice, but going in a group I think my hp should be a bit higher, something like 18K and I'll probably need a bit more armor 65% or maybe 70%.

EhtovK likes this.
  4. misterbean

misterbean Padavan

Armor is low, block reduction is low. I think the level 3 shield from heredur would improve your build a lot. It gives both 80% block (with dragan) and improves your block reduction and gives about 600 extra armor. The best shield in my opinion. Not to mention the extra 600 or something cold resistance which can come in handy in some situations (like heredur tanking or that most annoying mini boss of them all - THE MILLER -.-). Hp should be at least 18-20k, you're right. Also your dmg is very high for a 1h aggro tank setup. Speed is very low. Usually aggro tanks go with very high speeds and something like 100-110 base dmg XD. You leave the dmg dealing to your team. If you team up with the right people and build the team with 2 mages, 1 ranger and 1 dwarf (or some similar variation), it can go faster than solo.

5. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken... the most annoying mini bosses, in order, are

1. The troll in Q2M2: I need to use blues on (I) to kill him and reds on (III) and on that one, there is still a high chance to die.
    2. The sludge monster in Q5M2: He ha soooooo much HP and unless you can trap him an stall his movement, he keeps recovering all of his HP at each of the regen mini bosses staged along his path. And lets not forget about the poison that can kill in 3-5 seconds
    3. The miller in Q3M1: His attacks go through everything and do ridiculously high damage.

Now... on topic so that the mods do not smite this post...
    The build is good as a starting tank. Judging from the block rate, it is the Full moon shield. Not a bad shield by any stretch of the imagination, but you actually have too much rate because of the Warlord set (anything greater that 8800 is over kill). You'd be better off looking for either the Heredur shield as Misterbean recommended or a good legendary when the PRNG gods see fit to grant you one. I'm assuming that the gems are all below flawless and that would be because he isn't your main toon and you won't spend as much on him as you would your main. Also, luck plays a part when it comes to things like Keen's items which are great for tanks.

EhtovK, MANOJ and misterbean like this.
  6. Rhysingstar

My main issue at the moment is that I never tried building a 1h up until recently, so all my gear is built around going 2h. I was getting bored with the grind, then it dawned on me that if I made the attempt to see if I could build a decent 1h that the grind might be better.

I got a keens belt (not equipped yet) and a nice exo torso with lots of armor (not equipped yet) that I am holding on to as I try to find some more defensive equipment to go with them.

Since there aren't a lot of 1h builds being shown here on the forum (post 155), I'm stuck kind of guessing on what I'll need.

My thoughts on this style of build is have around 1100 dmg, 2.6 speed, 70% armor, Hp 18K, 80% block, 70% bl strength, 55% resist.

Mostly I go 2h solo because it is just quicker and easier, so I don't know that I'll stick with a 1h set up and group runs, but this switch has made playing fun again, so no matter what it is worth trying to see what I can accomplish with it.

7. wangwang

wangwang Active Author

Tank build for boss should be 0 dmg with skyhigh hp,armor,resis and most important speed imho.If you can have a couple thousand crit,that be super nice.

misterbean likes this.
  8. misterbean

misterbean Padavan

We have different perspectives because we play different classes and styles. The troll in q2 I can put down very easy with a few explosive shots with red, if he's in vortex. I think this is the best use for red essence, to use for extremely hard mini bosses to kill them in a few seconds (if you have the right dmg), but most people waste their red ess on bosses who have insane hp and can't be armor broken. Except for mortis fatal where you don't have time to take it slow because of the souls, every other boss should be doable with green - blue. If you can kill him in 5 minutes with blue, why waste red ess to kill him in 3 minutes? The monster in q5... well I've only played a couple of times q5, I don't like it that much.

But the reason the miller is so annoying for me is because I usually go glass cannon with an aggro tank in my team. And I have very low hp (dark set) and only about 3700 armor and 1k resistance. The miller's attack is so absolutely unfair because I just can't avoid it and he kills me in 1 shot no matter where I hide (in fatal mode). Everytime I get to the miller I have to change the entire setup and knowledge points on a more defensive build so I don't waste like 500 andermant only because of that boss. It only takes 1 split second for the aggro tank to get stunned and then the miller will do the AOE thing and I'm dead.... again.

9. Mario_Boss

Mario_Boss Regular

And still you have to take red ess...now troll q2m2 is hardest but in the end you can circle around him...ofc when you kill all those "PUMP UP WITH SPIDER" enemies.
    Back on topic i would never go on 1hnd bulid excpt when you are entering boss area. Than you can do ok with 15k hp and 70+ armor and great speed and just taunt aha aha, taunt aha aha, taunt............

Oh yeah dev note "make taunt last for 4-5 sec"

10. Rhysingstar

A 5 second taunt would be perfect. Yes, the troll is ridiculous to kill, but Q2 isn't my favorite map to begin with. I don't find the miller to be all that bad, I would rather fight him than the stupid sludge monster.

Anyway, I've farmed a little 1h. You really have to try to die when going 1 handed, so it's easier to test out various skills and see what works best. Takes forever to kill anything, but is fun on occasion.

So is my thought of 1100 dmg, 2.6 speed, 70% armor, Hp 18K, 80% block, 70% bl strength, 55% resist a good goal to shoot for or if not, what should be changed?

11. _Baragain_

No, those are all very good and reachable goals for a 1H.

12. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Wait for the "Attack Events". Those items are very good for DK in my opinion.

_Baragain_ likes this.
  13. _Baragain_

ROFL... it's only been over a year and a half since we've had one of those.

EDIT: I just checked. Beginning of March, 2014. 1 year, 10 months since one of my favorite events ever.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Darwarren likes this.
  14. Rhysingstar

Thank you.

Btw my stats are a result of lots of good gems (most flawless and a few sacreds) that only somewhat makes up for my almost average gear. Other than my warlord set and wolf shield, there probably isn't a single item I current have that any other DK would want.

Part of it is a little bad luck with drops, but most of it has been a real lack of desire to grind like I should.

Yet even with my average gear, I am still not too horrible going 2h.

[​IMG]

15. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

It was announced by the CMs in the last Twitch show ...
    ... according to them few of the "attack" events should happen this year.

16. _Baragain_

It will be nice to get a new belt and ring so that I can melt my old ones, but it would be fun if they bring the new pieces first and hoarders like me would be the first to get the full set.

17. bLaind

bLaind Forum Baron

I'm starting to wonder... are the "Resistance values" doing their job? Or is it just a waste, compared to other stats? 'Cuz In pvp I'm starting to doubt that they really work, since almost all SWs beat me. I'm gonna try today in pve to see if it actually does anything... wait, but what monsters use magic... or maybe I'll try on Khalys.

18. _Baragain_

Resistance is crucial in end game, but not very noticeable in early to mid game. I'm currently during at about 50% reduction from resistance and if I didn't have that, every elemental attack would do twice as much damage to me. That would make the PW bosses much tougher and PVP (if I cared enough to play it anymore) miserable.

In short, it works, but it isn't noticeable until you have a good amount of it and then try playing without it.

thebearreturns likes this.
  19. Rhysingstar

Made some adjustments today. Dropped some resist and dmg to pick up armor, HP, a little extra speed (although not enough for next break).

The 700 extra hp and 11% armor make a noticeable difference.

Still looking for the Heredur shield, but to date haven't seen one drop.

[​IMG]

20. EhtovK

EhtovK Old Hand

Nope, around 76-77% block rate with Dragan, both things level 50.

And yet the majority of the feedback on the thread for the PW is limited to an "it's ok", then they complain about the devs not noticing the problems.

Seems good enough, but might use a lil' bit more of attack speed for even more effective rage building, speaking of which, does critical hit rate matters for this type of build if you're using the talent that decreases the cooldown of all your skills per critical hit?

Also I completely agree that the taunt skill need a tweak and the taunt needs to last a bit longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.