Short bow or Long bow on pvp

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by atb333atb, Jan 17, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atb333atb

atb333atb Forum Apprentice

I ask this question beacause i go with longbow but everybody elce have short bows.
    It take the same amount of concentration to shot a precision shot (with big damage or with less damage) so what am i missing out there?
    it recharge faster?

arent 3 shots with good damage better than 3 shots (faster ones but with less damage)?

2. ZmajodBosne

ZmajodBosne Active Author

Short bows because speed.

akin970 likes this.
  3. Khoainong

Khoainong Someday Author

You can try a longbow, i'm 100% sure that you wont be able to hit anyone (i'm talking about lv 45 pvp)

4. ULTRAPEINLICH

ULTRAPEINLICH Forum Duke

It's much harder to build up speed than damage.
    E.g. it is easier to compensate the dmg you miss by using a short bow instead of a long bow than compensate 18%speed that you miss by using a long bow instead of a short bow.

5. Talicni

Talicni Forum Connoisseur

who knows i've seen players very used to and comfortable with longbows tough i recommend shortbow lower dmg but higher attack speed (about 25% faster then longbow if i am not mistaken) and besides the % attack speed u get from enchantments and gems (sapphires) will be higher values cause your base attack speed goes 1.05 instead of 0.83 (like in longbow).

6. TheInfamous

TheInfamous Board Analyst

People like speed, and those people cause everyone else to need speed to compete with the speed guys. (I remember a long time ago almost everyone was slow and powerful but suddenly speed became a trend)
    In PvE, a typical longbow(more damage) will be better than a typical shortbow(more speed).
    Low damage and fast attacks:
    • Exhaust Concentration faster.
    • Waste a lot more essence
    • Are not necessary because monsters don't have very interactive and unpredictable AI
    Fast attacks are necessary in PvP because now we have Travel Speed enchantments... so you need to be quick and attack them before they see your attack animation and dodge it. Also, many people have Liberation, so they can just jump away or debuff all negative effects. So, you successfully use your Net or Bird of Prey but too bad because you weren't fast enough to land a Precision shot before they jumped away. Or, my personal favorite, you mark and expect to spam Precision but I just use Frost Nova and you hit way less than you would have. Now you're out of concentration and you have an angry mage coming for you; not a very pleasant thought.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    kyller007, akin970 and _Baragain_ like this.
  7. Mara23sea

Mara23sea Forum Apprentice

I think you dont understand rangers very well, for example I have 130 concentration and if some mages reverse my marking then I dont care and mark him again because I have big speed and lot of concentration...

As regards of farming I still think that short bows with less dmg and more speed are better than longbows...Nowadays is not problem to farm blue essence so we dont care about consuption of essence and of course if you compare 2 rounds of farming in the same map once with shortbow and then with longbow Im pretty sure that it will be faster with shortbow and you will save time for more rounds.

And also if u use two different bows, one for pvp and second for pve then you will lost lots of golds just by changing stones (If you are not so big donat to have all good gems in both weapons :D).

Finally I would like to say, that you can be good with longbow, but you have to identify very good bow, which will have for example 2x max values of attack speed and weapon dmg.

Sorry for my bad english...

kyller007 and Bearak like this.
  8. Desertdragon

Desertdragon Forum Apprentice

People use short bows for some good reasons
    -as a ranger you need use a marking shot so as to inflict max dmg
    -this makes it two shots to make 1 powerful hit
    -with long bows opponents with increased travel speed or level 35 talent "Liberation " can easily evade the second shot.
    -slower attack speed means you're giving your opponents much more time to attack.
    -you yourself need to move a lot in order to evade attacks. This gives you little time to attack.
    However bear in mind that using shortbow means you need to have a good critical hit rate too.

9. Grave

Grave Forum Apprentice

I would say Longbows for PVE and short for PVP even though I don't really play a ranger. Just beacuse of concentration and essence cost for PVE and speed needed for PVP.

10. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

I am using legendary long bow with 2x speed and 2x weapon damage enchantments. At start it has speed of an short bow ... but it have something that short bow can not have. That is powerful damage. That 60% weapon damage is not same for long and short bow. 60% weapon damage for short bow means less damage than 60% damage for long bow ... because base damage of long bow is much higher than the one of short bow.
    I was doing some math, if I was P2P and have 5 sacred sapphires in focus and 5 sacred rubies in weapon ... with this same equipment that i am using at the moment ... I would have around 1.90-2.0 attack speed with base damage around 1400. Furthermore ... knowing that my belt, amulet and focus are not that good and can have much more damage ... it could easily go up to 1500-1600 base damage. And all those stats are in combination with a shield. And my critical hit rate is 2500.
    With that kind of weapon even hunting arrow is lethal.

11. TheInfamous

@Mara23sea I don't you understood my post very well.

I was talking about slow rangers, therefore saying being slow in PvP sucks.

Agreed. Or you can devote yourself to either PvP or PvE for a certain amount of time... like do only PvP until you've reached your goal and then do PvE for a few weeks and repeat

Yep, longbow can be really good because it can have higher max values than a shortbow.

I would say that speed is more difficult for a F2P to get, so, a shortbow is better. I use the Deep Sea Claw Bow on my ranger for more speed and because I hate longbows so much. Being slow just frustrates me in both PvP and PvE. I, myself, would go for shortbow but some people disagree. The OP might want to find out for him/herself.

It's not bad. ;)

12. Mara23sea

Mara23sea Forum Apprentice

Ok, tell me in which paragraph have you mentioned only about slow rangers...You just wrote about trends and situation in past and present and then about situation in arena. Maybe I missed something :D

Otherwise I cant devote myself to make only arena or farm...its really imposiible for me and also for my friends and guild :D

13. TheInfamous

I didn't mention anything; it was implied. Is it really not common sense that a fast ranger wouldn't be fazed by that situation? It was meant to show how slow speed can be troublesome in PvP.

But I guess I should be more clear and upfront with my posts.
    So, here I go:
    Use Shortbow. Unless you have super luck with identification and strong gems, longbows are EDIT.
    Also, everything after
    is supposed to show scenarios of slow rangers.

Clear?

Last edited by moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  14. -necromonster-

-necromonster- Junior Expert

Too clear I'm afraid.

15. TheInfamous

Aww, but only 2 letters were visible, the other a # and the number 7... xD
    I wonder, do we still get infractions here and how do I see them?

16. -drunkenshoe-

-drunkenshoe- Forum Greenhorn

Definitely Shortbow. Period. I have made two big mistakes about PvP and bows.

First as it gives more damage -when you're a beginner in the game- I found a pink Longbow and stuck with it. And also didn't start pvp training early enough, thinking I would be needed a higher level to play that -my first experience with these games- and now I need to find a shortbow, reset and have to go through a lot of 'dropping dead all over the place' experience, because as I am over 35, I am getting my ass handed to me in a few seconds.

Start PvP as early as you can and get a good Shortbow. And GEMS, GEMS, GEMS.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  17. NightWalker

NightWalker Board Analyst

Shortbow gives more damage? You got something wrong here... Shortbow more speed less damage and Longbow more dmg less speed.

18. sper009

sper009 Padavan

Maybe he means damage per second. I tried long bows in pvp (back when my short bow vanished from my inventory and was given the Silence as compensation), it can be effective if you have the gems to compensate. Putting those same gems in a short bow will make your life easier in the arena, though. The only reason I would use a Long Bow in this game is to save essence, or for the novelty aspect.

19. -drunkenshoe-

-drunkenshoe- Forum Greenhorn

No, I picked up the long bow, because it gives more damage. That was my mistake. you are right, I didn't say Longbow. I'll edit the post.

20. akin970

akin970 Forum Apprentice

I think he refer himself to the ratio dmg/sec.
    Due to the fact that it is easier to increase speed of an item with a base near to 1, the short bows *normally* have a higher ratio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.