Temp/Client directory: the player decides and not you

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by salotr, Nov 22, 2021.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. salotr

salotr Junior Expert

I dont get the why of this!
    I'm the only one who choose where to install the client and no one else!
    Make changes to the game so the player is free to choose where to install the client.

2. Шотто

Шотто Advanced

Well, actually you can move "DSOClient" folder from "TEMP" folder to any preferred place.
    Let's suppose that you've moved it into the "D:\Games" folder, so now it is placed as "D:\Games\DSOClient".
    Now you should create a "Symbolic Link" to this folder in you %TEMP% folder so that the game thinks that all of its files are in place.

You can create symbolic links using the mklink command in a Command Prompt window as Administrator. To open one, locate the “Command Prompt” shortcut in your Start menu, right-click it, and select “Run as Administrator”.
    [​IMG]

And then just run the following command:

Code:
    mklink /D %TEMP%\DSOClient "D:\Games\DSOClient"
    That's it.
    Additionaly you can create a "bat" file ("dsofolder.bat" for example) containing that command and create a Windows schedule task to run this "dsofolder.bat" every time you log in, just in case if your "Temp" folder was cleaned up.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  3. salotr

salotr Junior Expert

If so, why they didnt do this as a default installation progress?

4. Bundin

Bundin Regular

Because this is the JAVA legacy because DSO in early times could be played from web browser, and the engine had java codes and for the browser is important that the game data placed in temp folder, sorry it's still had because with old win explorer u can still play the game... but with mklink cmd command you can change the directory, but windows sometimes delete the link to from temp when u doesn't renew the link time to time, it gives a better game stability.

And when U give this extra line to your batch:
    Code:
    Start ""  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Drakensang Online\thinclient.exe" -x86_64
    Then your batch start your client automatically too

And the right code for mklink command is:
    Code:
    mklink /j %TEMP%\DSOClient "D:\Games\DSOClient"
    Because we point to a directory, not to a file.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  5. salotr

salotr Junior Expert

I tried the mklink thing but worked for one day only and then it started giving me some error message.
    So I had to restore the game with the previous configuration to play.

Thanks anyway to everyone for the tips.