Thin Client

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by edrogers58, Mar 15, 2021.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. edrogers58

edrogers58 Regular

DSO Thin Client has to be the crapest thing to use loading a game.
    Why can we not use Chrome or Firefox or something to log in like we used too ?
    I log out one day or even same day go to log in again and it is off downloading for what reason ?
    Who knows ?
    I check forums there is no patch or hotfix so why is it downloading all the time.
    The best part about it is I know I am going to face lag everytime I go to a new map after it downloads itself again.
    As I work away I try to log in just to get boxes and low and behold first thing it tries to do is download so for my swing away I just go **** bugpoint and play something through my browser , which I used to be able to do and play Drakensang while at work with less lag.
    Not only are the choices your developers making driving people away the way your Thin client works is just pfffft annoying frustrating and just dumb.

2. dkarl

dkarl Forum Duke

Are you sure you don't have an app (e.g., ccleaner, virus protection, etc.) or Windows itself set to clear out your %TEMP% folder on a regular basis?

3. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

It is unfortunate that the current Dev Team doesn't have enough brains between all of them to fix this problem. The %Temp% folder is not a permanent install and use location. That is what the %ProgramFiles% and %ProgramFile(x86)% are for.

The %Temp% folder is supposed to be for session usage and temporary holder for unpacking program for install. This means that when the session is over or a week has passed since the install, this info gets cleared out of the %Temp% folder. It wasn't designed for running programs from. It is unfortunate that the DSO Dev team isn't smart enough to understand this simple programming basic reality.

99.9% of all the files needed to run the Client (or to run from a web page considering the size) should be the %ProgramFiles% directories.

When they updated the Client from 32 bit to 64 bit, the program location should have changed from %ProgramFiles(x86)% and %Temp% to %ProgramFiles%, but, hey, guess what??... They can't even grasp that simple concept. So.. our so called 64bit Client is running from the 32bit program files and temp folders. ** rolls eyes **.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Nothanks! likes this.
  4. 4NormaL

4NormaL Junior Expert

The task named SilentCleanup with Windows task scheduler deletes unnecessary files on the computer in the background. Since the game files are in the Temp folder, the game is also deleted, so by disabling the task named SilenCleanup, you can probably solve the problem of deleting and reinstalling the game.

Task Shortcut

Type Task Scheduler instead of searching.

Task Scheduler \ Task Scheduler Library \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Disk Cleanup Click Disk Cleanup and disable Silent Cleanup in the middle.

Quote Picture
    [​IMG]

Elendel80 likes this.
  5. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

Doubt that is his problem. First it has no "Triggers", so no calls to start. Plus the description is: "Maintenance task used by the system to launch a silent auto disk cleanup when running low on free disk space." So, unless he has a red bar on his C drive, not going to run either.

Mine also has: Last run Result "The operator or administrator has refused the request. (0x800710E0)".

Good try by @4NormaL though.

Elendel80 likes this.
  6. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

Data should either be in program files folder, or, based on their current directory format style, the ...users\<USER>\AppData\local\DSO folder. Users have permissions there and files aren't deleted regularly.

TwiliShadow likes this.
  7. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

*\AppData\<roaming or local>\DSO directory is where the two configuration files that we save away should be kept. With you I agree on this.

8. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

You all forget that the game is originally a Browser Game of the Year ... and it is not a browser game for a long time.
    Back in those days, before the extinction of the dinosaurs ... that was the way browsers handle browser games ...
    You can play in Firefox , just follow the guide ... but the game is still saving the files at the same location.

9. Nethielle

Nethielle Padavan

@trakilaki does the DNS server have some part in the many loading/connection/freezeing issues of this *fantastic* *brilliant* *wow* game?
    I use Google DNS servers, are they ok?

Thank you

10. Selene-Rip

Selene-Rip Regular

Hi,
    DSO Thin Client works well as long as we let everything load the 1st time and perform cachetime checks etc ...
    however I confirm that since the last release
    there is some problem to connect via the dso thin client.
    you have to start again (open and close the thin client dso) several times to have a correct display

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  11. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

I don't know.
    Personally, I am running away from anything related with "google" for a longer time now ... i don't even google :)
    As long as you have all the files locally on your PC and as long a s they are unpacked for a first time ... you don't have to worry ... until the next patch or release.

AndJustice4All likes this.
  12. radical85

radical85 Forum Apprentice

This dont work , their Servers are cr@p no other DNS can help .
    I cant play i get huge lagg all the time

13. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

You would be better served using the DNS servers from your ISP. This is what I'm doing and I rarely get nebulas, disconnects, download problems, etc.

And always let it completely download before going past the server selection screen.

14. Nethielle

Nethielle Padavan

Thank you to everyone, but nothing, my game keep crashing every map change...
    I've found the Technical FAQ
    https://board-en.drakensang.com/threads/technical-faq.60420/#post-615318
    Sincerly, they're new to me, especially the ports setting on firewall.
    Anyone has set its firewall and can help me pls?
    Thanks!

15. rpfo

rpfo Padavan

I saw a post from a guy days ago talking about some dmgd packets on game conection. Im not into digging network stuffs, but ive been noticing every time i change map my network explodes on data , taking longer than ever to load screen. When takes long, i end up with huge lag.
    After struggling with this briliant code, i found my trick. Unplug and plug network cable from pc and ur lag disapears as magic.

Everyday get more proud and happier of playing this game, i cant wait to see the next bug!!!
    Cheer heroes, cause we are really heroes!