What is the Region chat channel

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by BigPapa, May 6, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

I've never figured this out. When you teleport to a new area, it tells you the local and regional channel you entered and there is a megaphone looking tab on the chat bar for regional, but ive never seen anything on it and it usually has some weird name. Logically it would cover more than one Local channel, but does it? Or, is there some other use?

What does is do compared to local channel?

2. tereran9

tereran9 Junior Expert

Wonderful world of languages
    I have no idea.

3. Ergooooooo

Ergooooooo Forum Apprentice

with local u can see/'talk/hear' to/with the players that are currently in that map/area so that is local.
    ofcourse there are various local maps with different players in them besides the map u are in also the maps that are closeby, so that is what the regional chat map is for, to reach players in your map/area that arent 'physically' in your current map. wow this explanation seems bad but i hope u understand?

4. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

[​IMG]

Local chat - your message can be seen only within that map
    Regional chat - your message can be seen in the whole region ... you don't need to be on same map to have a conversation with the other players

5. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

But what does whole region mean? When you're in Watery Grave the Region is "Smedthold". Does that mean I'm talking to all the instances of Watery Grave? Or, does it mean I could talk to all the people in OOB and HOD or what? I understand what region means by definition of the word, a larger geographic area. But in the Pic it says region Kingshill. Who would be in the same channel other than people in Kingshill?

6. Novadude

Novadude Commander of the Forum

I've almost never seen anybody on the regional channel.

I imagine the regional channel could allow you to call for a group in the wilderness or dungeons near your current base city.

7. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

In my experience, the region chat goes across instances and multiple different maps.

The region chat could be made useful if they made it show up in the standard chat channel. Right now, town chat, whispers, group chat, and guild chat all show up in the main chat window. The problem is that if this happens, it will get way too much spam, and then it would defeat the usefulness of the idea.

8. jthames

jthames Advanced

There you go again, starting all kinda problems:) ! While I cannot answer to your question, I'm not missing this opportunity to, very briefly, complain about the DSO chat system as a whole. It is without doubt the most backward, awkward and toughest to master system I've yet to run across. Chastise me all you want but it changes nothing.

BigPapa likes this.
  9. fourtwenty68

fourtwenty68 Board Analyst

it doesn't work,,just tested it in PW.
    it only works on the same map,and my guildy said it went straight to whisper.
    i was in oob atrium and another guildy was in map1,and he couldn't see my chat.and i couldn't see his.it didn't go to whisper then.
    tested and approved,It's broken lol
    ps,all these years playing and no one uses this lol.
    but i have seen english speakers using this so they dont get the local chat spammers.

BigPapa likes this.
  10. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Haha Yep, thats my job, keep em dancing and get smarter in the process;)

Chastise? How bout a like instead:D

jthames likes this.
  11. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

From Watery Grave or Kingshill you are talking only to the instances ... because all other maps are dungeons (private maps).
    When you are using other regional chat (ex. Shorefolk) you are talking to all instances of RCC, Troll Canyon and Burning coast.
    The regional chat was massively used in the past. Back then there were no atriums ... and the players were using it for finding PW groups.
    Since the new Home Page the regions were omitted ... but in the old one there was a whole section about the regions.
    There is a section on wiki ... but it is bit outdated. :D

DesertKoala and BigPapa like this.
  12. fourtwenty68

fourtwenty68 Board Analyst

cool,so you only talk to the instances on the same map.
    i thought it was like a World chat,but we don't have that.:(

13. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Thanks Trak, that makes sense. I'm thinking it may still be useful if it wasn't an isolated channel but hey, low on the totem pole for improvements.

Question answered--Mods make the call.

14. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

Closed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.