why elemental essences do more damage then vigor essences

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gbit, Jun 1, 2020.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. gbit

gbit Forum General

hi everyone, the question is how elemental essences do more damage?
    With the introduction of the new elemental essences, many players have posted screens where it is seen that the damage inflicted on mobs and bosses with these new essences is significantly higher than those inflicted with normal essences.
    This depends on the different way in which the two types of essences work:
    the base damage of the pg is calculated as damage due to the equipment plus the damage given by the %ID enchantements used by the pg; these values can be read in the information window of the pg by placing the cursor on the values of the base damage.
    Normal essences provide %ID and add up to enchantement's %ID: to give an example if a character has 200% ID without essences, with red ess (+ 300% ID) he finds himself with a relative modifier (in the window) of 500% ID.

For example:
    equip damage (X)% ID (% D)Essences (% E)
    10000200%300%
    The damage that will appear in the base damage line are calculated as

X + X * (% D) + X * (% E)

Substituting the values (in the calculations I replaced the percentages with their numerical values)

10000 + 10000 * (2) + 10000 * (3) = 60000

And so far it's all as it always has been.

With elemental essences the behavior of essences changes; a % of the base skill damage as elemental damage is added to the current skill damage.
    A first consequence is that with normal ess only one number is shown for the damage dealt, while with elemental essences we can see two of them, one for the base damage and one for the elemental damage.

Now let's see how they work
    Example:
    equip damage (X)% ID (% D)Essences (% EL)
    10000200%300%
    Base Damage (DB): X + X * (% D) = 10000 + 10000 * 2 = 30000

Elemental Damage (DEL): + a percentage of base damage = DB * (% EL) = 30000 * 3 = 90000

Total Damage = base damage + elemental damage = DB + DEL = 30000 + 90000 = 120000

As you can see the damage with the elemental red ess is double the damage with the normal red ones.

In general:

with normal essences

damage = X + X * (% D) + X (% E); Collecting base damage (DB) results in
    damage = [X + X * (% D)] * {1 + [X * (% E) / (X + X *% D)]} = DB * {1 + [ (% E) / (1 +% D)]}

with elemental essences

damage = [X + X * (% D)] + [X + X * (% D)] * (% EL) = [X + X * (% D)] * (1 +% EL) = DB * (1 +% EL)

the difference between the two damage outputs is given by the factor that multiplies the base damage (DB)
    the relationship between these two factors tells us how more efficient the elemental essences are compared to the normal ones

example
    with% D = 200%

Ess elementEss norm{1 + [(% E) / (1 +% D)]}(1 +% EL)Eff.rat
    25%25%1,0831:251,154
    50%50%1,1661.51,286
    100%100%1,33321.5
    200%200%1,66631.8
    300%300%242
    The higher the percentage of %ID, the more the efficiency ratio increases and therefore it is more advantageous to use the elemental essences.

Note 1: these calculations are valid for the damage output, so if the perc armor and resistance of the mobs are the same, the reasonement is correct.
    If the mob armor is greater than the mob resistances it is even more advantageous to use elemental ess; if the opposite is true, it is a little less advantageous (but here you should have the values of the percentages to know how much you lose in damage dealt)

Note 2: if you face a boss with elemental essences towards which it has reduced resistance (e.g. fire essences against Heredur) the advantage in terms of damage is even greater (but here too you should have the percentage values, although it is sure that more damage is done)

Note 3: tested the values in the arena (war) against the mannequins with a normal hit (skill 100% base damage) and with slash (skill 240% base damage)

I hope I was clear; it would be a good thing if someone else will test all this stuff for confirmation; if you have questions, suggestions, advices please tell me.

thanks for the attention and sorry for eventual mistakes.

EDIT
    I've tested the elemental damage with a constant damage value (no min-max range, only one damage value) and the tested values don't match with the calculated ones.
    In the first test I worked with high number (absolute damage), a range of min-max and the critical damage, so I take in consideration average values for the calculations; but all these factors covered the discrepancies between test and calcs.
    So in the end (due to the result of the last test) I must consider the calcs I've done as only theory based on the elemental essences description (that as far as I know is not correct).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. rcch

rcch Advanced

kudos for you gbit. good stuff.
    I think we should factor in also the boss resistances. This would be interesting table

gbit likes this.
  3. gbit

gbit Forum General

I was interested in the way this essences work. Once you obtain the physical damage output and the elemental damage output of your char, you can calculate quickly the damage you inflict to the mobs.
    But if you consider that boss abilities can buff the defense, and that armor and resistences increase in phase 2 and 3 of boss fight, and take in count eventual elemental weakness, it comes that you need a lot of data (I don't have them).

4. vkillerx

vkillerx Forum Pro

Well from what i´ve seen it might seem that the old vigor essences are indeed applied as absolute modifier therefore they might make cca. 3rd of the dmg dealt while the new elemental essences will be stronger as they do no amplify the dmg dealt via character but via skill therefore when you use any sort of elemental red it is indeed quad dmg :D Basically from what i´ve seen any elemental green essence basically no matter the element used/attacked is comparable to 300% vigor essence :p

5. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

When it comes to which of the "new essence" to use on a boss, you need to go back to the release notes of "R209 Patchnotes & Game Rebalanceing Guide" and near the bottom is that "rock-paper-sissor" chart of "Fire-Ice-Poison-Lightning-Fire" that says you use "Fire" on an "Ice" boss for best effect due to decrease resistance of the preceding element in the circle.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    gbit likes this.