Wine and Qt5 error

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by brianinthered, Nov 8, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianinthered

brianinthered Forum Greenhorn

I know Drakensang doesn't support Linux, but I've been running it in Wine for almost 2 years now. I've never had a problem... never! Drakensang is my go-to game for testing Wine and PlayOnLinux and it has ALWAYS worked.
    It runs so well that I have posted multiple step-by-step guides on how to install and run it.

All of a sudden a week or two ago I started getting this error:
    This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform or plugin "windows"

I have never seen an error like this in almost 2 years (just to re-iterate)
    I have done some research and posted my findings in detail at the PlayOnLinux forums.

I'm guessing that Drakensang is now using Qt5 and Wine is not compatible. I have yet to find a work-around for it as well.
    Other clients in Wine like Battle.net and Origin just require setting Wine as Windows XP, but this doesn't work for Drakensang.

There are some path issues I've read about when people develop with Qt, but it appears Drakensang devs have done all of their work with providing the correct libraries and the platforms folder.

So I know this is a problem with Wine. If anyone is having a similar problem, please post and let works on getting a solution. I really miss playing Drakensang in Linux.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Tigraine-Mantear

Tigraine-Mantear Someday Author

We were trying to get DSO working on Mint using Wine. We are getting the same error message. So far I can't find any suitable solution.

(is now not sure if she fancies mints or wine)

3. brianinthered

Ah finally, someone else with the same problem. Did you read all the information I posted in the PlayOnLinux forum?
    I still haven't found a solution and I have no idea if the Wine developers are aware of the Qt5 problems.
    I'm sure they are with Origin and Battle.net problems.
    I'll continue testing Drakensang with newer versions of wine and will continue searching for solutions. I just can't believe an update to Qt5 broke Wine compatibility... really sucks!

4. Tigraine-Mantear

I am not great at fixing these things, frustration got the better of me and I had to step away or the laptop would have been biffed through the window XD

5. brianinthered

Me and an administrator at PlayOnLinux have tried everything from patched versions of Wine to different libraries like vcrun2010, but its still not working.
    I have heard even Windows is having problems with Qt5 errors

--MERGED--

Is there a way to disable preloading?

--MERGED--

Drakensang is still not working in Linux with Wine 1.7.31
    I can login sometimes and get to the server selection screen, but I always get this error as it automatically downloads:
    --MERGED--

I tried the newest version of Wine 1.7.33 and still not working.
    I got some new errors but the preloader/downloader still won't work.

I even tried manually downloading the app.n3app.nz2 but I don't know where the thinclient.exe needs it to reside.

I wish there was a backwards compatibility with QT4 so we could still play.

Is there a way to stop the pre-loader or a switch to disable preloading?

Last edited by moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  6. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

@brianinthered
    I have deleted your post because it is consecutive posting.
    But since we have significant news, I will paste it in this post.
    Fell free to copy paste it into new post under mine. :)

" Drakensang is working in Linux again. WineHQ's has released a patch for the qt5network.dll and now Drakensand will download the game files without problems.
    Search for patch_qt5network_wine.py

1. Copy the text for QT5 network patch
    2. paste into a text editor
    3. Save in: /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/drakensang/drive_c/Program Files/Drakensang Online/
    4. Save as patch_qt5network_wine.py
    5. Use terminal to make executable with chmod +x
    6. execute patch_qt5network_wine.py
    7. use Wine manager to install wine 1.7.34
    8. Launch Drakensang
    9. It should download the entire game now!!!
    Note: The "username" will be your Linux login. Wineprefix may have different names. I always named my virtual drive "drakensang"

This worked perfectly for my Mint 17 64-bit PlayOnLinux setup.
    Thank Wine developers for the patch. I hope in later versions of wine it will automatically support qt5network.dll without a patch. "

7. Tigraine-Mantear

Awesome, I will try that out later :D Thanks.

8. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.