Advise Me on the Armour / Hp ratio and its mathematics of calculation

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by draco994, Apr 8, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

For PVE I find little value in Resistance gems. There are a few bosses where they can be very useful; Destructor and Khally come to mind. But you can up Fire resist for Destructor and andermagic resist for Khally with gear like Dragon shackle and Sargon cape. But unless you're gonna tank IMHO a direct infusion of HP is more valuable than a resist equivalent gem. In fact, I think 3500 armor is excessive for a non-DK PVE type, again unless you're going to tank.

I may not be the most reliable reference for this though as I've always preferred a High HP build so of course would recommend what i did above;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    draco994 likes this.
  2. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

Great minds think alike. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his posts as he moves past "Greenhorn" status. I can respect anyone who can talk the math of the game on the level with me.

3. Trailboss1

Trailboss1 Forum Mogul

Well, that rules me out than :p

BigPaPa, agreed. Resist gems are, more or less, useless in PvE with, of course those few exceptions.

Beings the question is mostly answered lemme ask this than......

What about a crit hit/damage setup? What's the best attributes for a DK?

I focused more on HP and than armor. Figured damage would come. I have 3 legs equipped, the rest is uniques. I still feel my DK is average despite what others have complemented on my tanking skills.

And beings I'll probably get in trouble for going off topic anyway might as well ask this one as well.....does it really matter what gem goes into what piece of gear? I thought it was all accumulative figures. I've asked several players before and get different answers. Example: it's better to put damage gems in weapon or armor gems in torso/head. While others said it didn't matter.

4. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

In most cases it doesn't matter what goes where, but there are exceptions.

Damage gems are usually suggested to go in weapon because of the % bonus that you get from class skills. It is a % bonus to the weapon damage, whereas if the damage gems were in the adornment, they would be added to damage without the % bonus you get from the skill. So if they are in the weapon its something like
    1.25 bonus X (100 + 20 +20 +20 + 20 +20) = 250.
    If they are in the adornment its something like
    (1.25 x 100) + 20 +20 +20 +20 +20 = 225

The fallacy in this is that speed gems work the same way. They add a percentage but that additional speed is a percentage of weapons speed. When they are added to the weapon it is addition, when they are added to the adornment it is multiplication.
    Lets say you have 2 10% gems to add and your base speed is 1 on whatever weapon you are using. If you put them both in the weapon your speed is 1.2 = 1 + .1 + .1
    If you put them both in the adornment then your speed is 1.2 = 1 + (1 x .1) + (1 x .1)
    But if you put one in each your speed is 1.21 = (1 +.1) + (1.1 x .1) Thats because it adds 10% of the weapon speed which is now 1.1. This gets crazy with all the other speed bonuses on equipment. If I take out a damage gem and put in a 10% gem on my bow, the overall speed goes up 20% Sooo000 I get twice back what i put in. If I put them in the arrows, I get what i put in.

The only other item I can think of that has a specific gem bonus is the defender belt adds a bonus to armor gems. The rest, meh, doesn't change the total so doesn't matter.

Trailboss1 likes this.
  5. Trailboss1

Trailboss1 Forum Mogul

Thanks man :cool:

It was never explained to me quiet that way and most of the time when I play it's to "escape" RL. Not try to figure out to much crap about a game lol

6. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Haha as I've said before RL is over rated. I think of it as time invested into more productive game time and it's all fun, even the math:p

Trailboss1 likes this.
  7. cdeepal

cdeepal Forum Baron

I have done some calculations yesterday.
    Yes, it is complex, but for the folks who wants to keep things simple and not do worksheets full of calculations to get optimal results, my advice would be to maintain twice of HP than of Armor (of course until the Armor caps out).

8. draco994

draco994 Active Author

The speed what ever , has break points , so in effect what ever the status shows speed of our character, the speed is not in effect if it is within that particular status,

for eg; if one got a speed of 1.20 in total, and if he got 10% gem , it wont do good to his total char as it wont change the required speed needed to attain next speed cap and so the effect is same eventhough we figure dps change. so what purpose if we dont know the speed caping and just puting on speed gems without assessing that speed needed for each class at each particular point.

9. jmie88

jmie88 Someday Author

guys i am ranger i got arrow of sargor with +800 crit hit but -35% armor.. question.. does it mean if i have total of 1000 armor it will only become 650?? vise versa..

10. Master0fpuppets

Master0fpuppets Forum Baron

yeah, you lose 35% of your total armor if you use sargon arrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.