Suggestion Allow all Wilderness Areas to Scale

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Aslandroth, Sep 2, 2019.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

When Qaizah was first released, I was a little disappointed with the Great Desert for 2 reasons:

1. It's not great (large) at all.
    I've recently played TQ, you know, the old-ish ARPG about the ancient Greek, Egyptian, etc. mythology, and there is a whole act taking place in Egypt and what they have there is what I would call a great desert. DSO's Great Desert is, well, a sandbox for kids.
    Sure, we can say the Evergreen Oasis, Temple of Agony, and the Spike Valley are all parts of the desert, but I don't think anyone ever though about those maps as such. They are simply dungeons that not many people play in.

2. It's a dungeon (there are no random people).
    I thought it was weird. All other towns have 1 or more Wilderness areas beside them. I get that the devs changed it to virtually a dungeon because of the stolen kills issue. But was that really a problem? There are 4 more dungeons in Qaizah where nobody can steal kills from you.

I don't know what it is, but Drakania doesn't feel like a world to me. It feels like an assortment of separate maps, which it is technically, but it shouldn't feel that way. And I'm afraid the suggestion to make all wilderness areas into dungeons could further enhance this feeling.

However, if normal mode meant wilderness, and painful-infx meant dungeon, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
    So yeah.

2. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Regular

Ok so I am bumping my old thread because I feel it is more relevant after the CE. Now, I know most of you guys would prefer fewer maps, and really enjoy running the same ones over and over, but I do like to have a change of scenery from time to time.

Once more I am asking for ALL wilderness areas to scale. Not like Great Desert, not with a sentinel' I realize that is too much to ask but, look at the new suburbs map. It is pretty much a wilderness area and it scales. It just happens to be a boring copy / paste of itself but at least it offers something for players of all skill levels. What is so hard abou introducing scaling in the old wilderness maps?

I was promised the "Biggest CE ever" and "Endless labrynths to explore" and someone dropped the ball on that. Ok, some of the older wilderness maps were fun, and I have good memories from playing there. It wouldn't take much if any development, and none of us players would be getting some big huge advantage so there is no reason not to do this.

And, lets face it, te developers, and folks that worked in the art department back when the older maps were developed were, simply better at their jobs. The Norselands maps and everything else up until Quaizah were interesting, and had attention to detail. It made re-running them endlessly, much more enjoyable than the trash maps we are subject to today.

ргцт and Nostalgiac like this.
  3. ManaThief

ManaThief Advanced

Definitely not. Can you imagine how hard it would be for a small level to play just because level 100 stepped into their map and scaled the level of all mobs? It's too hard even the way it is now.

4. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Regular

I see your concern, but that is not exactly what I am proposing. On the slider scaler, when a user selects normal, it would be the "normal level" for the map, not the user leaving the difficulty as it is so a player coming up through the levels and doing quests has a fair chance. Painful and higher would start out +5 levels and so on, relative to the actual player. Does this make sense?

If anyone has ideas to make this workable (I am sure many are better than mine) please share them. My goal when making this suggestion was simply to give more replay value to some of the older maps that we've had to abandon.

5. TwiliShadow

TwiliShadow Count Count

I agree with both of you.

The real solution is the old wilderness maps needs a 2 level selector when entering: "Normal"--"Scaled".
    "Normal" would be just as it is now.
    "Scalable" would be the way the Suburb of Splintered City is now.

That way young toons can be protected and advance unhindered, and older advanced toons can do the things we like there as well.

EDIT: Here is an idea: Maybe the "mode" changes automatically when a toon is, say, 10 levels higher than the original level. OR the "wilderness" becomes a "dungeon" when accessed by a higher level toon or group so that mid levels can also go back and get the benifits of a higher level older map.

silverseas likes this.
  6. ManaThief

ManaThief Advanced

Well that would technically deny anyone except high level go to higher difficulty. The only way I see is to make every wilderness a dungeon where monsters respawn, like the great desert, which kind of contradicts the concept of wilderness.
    Also, I think, if it was done, most of them would be empty, players would just farm in maps that would be efficient and the tiny amount of low level players would be spread into even tinier groups in different difficulties.

7. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Regular

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. This is a good discussion to have, as there is a lot of content that is no longer practical for higher level players to access. In fact, with the deleted events, and associated maps, there is a wealth of content that could be recycled into playable, every day maps and BP is leaving that on the table.

They leave all good suggestions on the table anyways. I have seen countless good suggestions in these forums, and have yet to see a single one implemented by BP. Since this thread will be ignored and go into the dust bin of BP history, mods, I guess you can close it.