folly of doing pvp with a mage

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Lordcl, Feb 18, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By all means, have a lively debate but play nice and do not target/insult posters.

2. TheInfamous

TheInfamous Board Analyst

Again with the "most people in high PvP ranks are mages" stuff... I am honestly too tired of it to reply.

Anyways, I see some of the major contributors have decided to give up on this thread, so I'll throw some of my opinion in here.

I am a mage, and I usually try to take out the enemy mages first.
    Mages are taken out first because they have high DPS, which means the longer they are alive the more likely they are to destroy your team one by one. Mages are also very support-type and you'd know this if you had noticed the support value that mages have each game, which means that if an enemy mage is taken out, the other classes will also be easier to kill. Simply eliminating an enemy player helps your team by a ton; they lack defense(when compared to DK and Ranger, at least) so they are easier to kill. Which are all reasons why mages are the perfect candidates for primary target.

Since this thread is about SWs perspective, I shall try to use the above info and explain how mages respond to these effects.

Ranger is burst damage and dodging a few shots will render one helpless so it's easy to survive a barrage from them. DKs are basically the same in that they have to charge, except these guys are a lot easier to avoid; I mean you can hardly not see them coming... their energy lowers with time, so you just have to run for a bit and they're out of commission. All you have to worry about is the enemy mage :) Once the mage is dead, you help your team with singularities and slowing effects, plus massive damage since you don't have to hit and run and can just continue shooting from where you stand.

*The above pertains to 3v3 only.*

Mages are strong. And we benefit a lot from level 35 Fame, more than the other classes do. If anything you should be happy this talent exists, not question its impact.

Take care.

silverseas likes this.
  3. fab

fab Advanced

Mages is not OP, rangers is op that can kill sw in 2 precision shot and so dks which can kill u in 1-2 smash too.
    Rangers using their scatter shot too got crazy amts of damage which i also doesnt know they show so much favourites to rangers, and dks heal non stop which something must be done to this fame.
    Many mages have posted their unhappiness here and nothing is done till this day, and
    too many have given up playing as a mage.

Just giving my best of knowledge here.

4. Ash

Ash Advanced

It's going to all change once I move up in XP from lvl23 :D

At the moment, frost nova + lightning is a favourite of mine. Or just frost nova with it's damage to finish off a player who gets close. Frost Nova generally for DKs face-to-face action.

And in 3v3 I like to sneak up behind and freeze them while they're aiming at another player. Or freeze a DK when running after a team mate, or 1v1-ing with them. So I find it a great team support skill. Most valuable in 5v5 as you suggest.

As a lvl23 mage with a lvl 31 Fame, it's getting tricky though. I guess I will have to rethink my stuns against high Fame lvl DKs. I'm going to have to practice how to force them to use their debuffs.

---

While I agree in theory with your assessment about who to take out first. Me personally, I don't blink when there is a Mage on the other team, unless I recognise the name and know they are big cash players.

I do worry when I see a lvl30+ Fame, DK. I am fast on my feet and yet they get to me soooo quickly and then deal a serious amount of damage. DKs in my experience seem to use their debuffs more and I struggle to get shots in.
    Run a bit? I run constantly with them! lol

If I see a strong DK on the team I try to take him out first while he's hitting another team mate (unless he comes for me first which they tend to do on 2nd round lol). Otherwise they take out my team and then I'm either left alone with the DK or the DK and a pesky Mage and can't stop long enough to hit.

Ok, so I normally win, but against DKs it moves to 50-50 for me. No complaints, but I'm wondering about strategy with Dks.

So what are your tips for a lvl23 Mage @TheInfamous ? I use fireball + pyro btw

--MERGED--

:confused: You must be kidding friend lol

Rangers are the underdogs in this game. You have simply met super strong rangers.

Last edited by moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  5. fab

fab Advanced

Saying kidding to me is a big joke, come tegan and see what all these rangers have in store for u , my friend xD
    Rangers in here take down mages in 1-2 shots
    Dks over here take down mages pretty fast too, 1-2 smash the most
    Haahaha, if that is not showing favourites then what is all these can u ans me.
    looking forward for ur next reply , cheers

6. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

It has been said many times before, so I'll just give you the short version (Go find the detailed posts yourself if you are that woried about it... just look for "______ is OP" or something like that). In the beginning of the game, Rangers are OP. Massive damage (for their level) with armor and HP just below a DK. However, at end game, the average SW is better than the average DK or RA (and SM for that matter). How ever, with a heavy cash player, end game DK's become invincible.

7. Ash

Ash Advanced

So is that an OP ranger or a soft Mage?

Other than big cash players, my Mage has little problems with Rangers because I have high armour.

Many, if not most, Mages don't have much armour. They work on damage. I have good Dmg but have worked on a more balanced Mage.

In lower levels, my Ranger had a laugh with DKs, but Mages were difficult because of their stuns. The net feels like a joke in comparison. Precision shot is insanely strong.... as long as I can get a shot in 1v1. Fireball off-screen is much easier than a precision shot on-screen.

And on and on....lol

I play all four, and never feel any one is OP to other classes. It all depends on how long you have played and how many gems you have stacked up, as well as how much you have farmed for glyphs, or how skilled you are, or how much money you spend.

A high ranking cashed up DK is considered invincible as Baragain says. Which is why Mages are wondering about better stunning abilities in those upper levels.

Just don't tell me Rangers are favourites in this game, because just show me where there is a beautiful image of a ranger on their homepages, or where a group in PWs puts a call out for a Ranger lol ;)

yzm5508512 likes this.
  8. sper009

sper009 Padavan

The most effective way to take out those DKs as a Spellweaver is to use Lightning + Singularity in my experience, but that is hard to do if you are not a Premium member or facing other classes.

9. spiro_spula

spiro_spula Forum Connoisseur

In my experience, the most useful skill against DKs is ice bolt. Just keep them blue at all times and don't allow them to close the distance. Also, leaving DKs for last (in 3v3 arena for instance) is probably the better option (compared to going after them first). The reason is simple - DKs can't apply damage as easily, and they heal.
    You would not believe how angry some ubar strong DKs get after they're left alone against a mage and a ranger, one of us paints him blue and the other one green. This more or less renders them stationary, and after they use both jump and dash to try and catch up with either of you - singularity.

10. TheInfamous

I will use a level 25 DK with 31 Fame for examples, which means he has the technical advantages: extra talent which is most likely the stun charge, base damage & HP from 2 levels of XP, and percentage bonuses (for them higher percentages when fighting you, and for you lower percentages when fighting them, all because of level)

You will have to use Ice Missile often to slow them down. There are only a few things more frustrating than slowing effects. Try not to run around map, instead stay in the middle or around an obstacle. Keep your distance and shoot Fireballs as they try to close it. "distance" should be farther than the reach of your Frost Wind. From that far they can't Stun Charge on or past you, can't Rage Jump on you, and can't stun you with Ground Breaker which means you will be safe as you deal damage.

If and when they finally get in range, use Frost Wind.
    At this point you have a few options:
    -You can run out of range to hold your previous position again
    -You can shoot 1-2 Fireballs and move sideways to avoid a possible stun charge
    -You can place a Watchman next to you. It helps against DKs because watchman gets in their way and sometimes DKs will try to use a skill on you but since watchman is so close, they will target watchman instead.

I prefer Fireball option. Once their stun charge is used, I'd run or Teleport away to try to force them to use Rage Jump. The objective is to force them to use displacement skills so you can trap them in Singularity + frost slowing effects and spam Fireball and Magic Missile. You have about 8 seconds to deal damage which should be at least 7 attacks with which you are likely to kill or lower their HP by a significant amount. Now run before they catch you, they wont be very happy. :p

Stay out of range, close to walls/obstacles (except those spots that trap you... there are a few, really need to be polished) use Ice Missile and don't let DKs run their normal speed, turn around to shoot Fireball as you are running. Hit and Run is the easiest strategy. You deal damage while the DK can't, and you are in control of the chase which means you can lead him/her to your teammates to kill. There is a downside, though: You will discourage the DK from chasing you and they will go after someone else... if there is someone. If not, they may try to use the 50% buff and exhaustion to kill you. And/or they will play it really safe. Don't show them you can run; If you stand in place or stay in your general vicinity they will be more tempted to go all out.
    If you like, whisper me in-game and we can do practice fights with my level 24 DK
    Wish you luck on your endeavors :)

silverseas likes this.
  11. Ash

Ash Advanced

Practice fights would be a blast @TheInfamous lol

Thanks for that, will help other Mages too.

So sounds like what I do generally, except some DKs seem super fast and getting that distance is tough. I find myself often the last one standing with the DK from the other team lol
    I'm forced to use my stuns as a way to get the distance, so end up shooting a fireball behind me then running.
    I do ran around the whole map though.

12. yzm5508512

yzm5508512 Someday Author

There is just non-sense that mage uses frozen wind the moment u see the enemy,frozen wind is a life-saving skill to prevent opponent to get to u and earn time to teleport. When opponents r far away from u ,just spam the EDIT fire ball. Cant blame anyone if u want to get closer to stun enemies and get killed.

Last edited by moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  13. Sewyew

Sewyew Someday Author

U know I've seen many dks doing that , going after the watchman, I was like well let him have his fun......how about a couple of fireballs to light things up :)

14. TheInfamous

Haha yeah.

Well, most of the time it is not intentional. The auto-target in the game prevents you from moving if you were holding shift while shooting, released shift and moved mouse really quickly and tried to move.. You'd have to stop until you see your character is no longer attacking and then move.
    Sometimes though, DKs will attack the watchman to gain rage or to heal if they have Dragon Hide on.

15. Sewyew

Sewyew Someday Author

yeah I figured as much but using that to heal is a bad idea , it's not like we're gonna stand around watching :)

16. TheInfamous

Well, most people can't hit as high as the DK is healing so it wont even matter. If you attack them instead of running they might catch you off guard and do some damage. If you run, it's no problem for them because they've healed and you haven't... so the 1v1 starts again but now the DK has a massive advantage. Best bet is to just not use watchman against DKs that have that healing ability.

_Baragain_ likes this.
  17. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

So many SW's play using their map and not using line of sight... they don't even realize that the DK is healing until it is too late.
    Smart man... lets hope my opponents don't read your post. :D

18. JudgeCZ

JudgeCZ Forum Expert

Seriously? I know mages with 1300 basic damage and 5000 hp that kills rangers on 1 hit. It depends on how much you pay and how long do you play. I think that mages are most powerful class in DSO. But any class can be good if is well played.

19. fab

fab Advanced

Have u ever seen rangers which got more than 1600 based damage or more ?
    I have seen rangers which got 1900 max damage which is simply outrageous, mark targets will suffer double or more, how ridiculous is that compare to mages fireball.
    Any noob rangers can just sit in 1 corner just by marking shot followed by precision from behind.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  20. JudgeCZ

JudgeCZ Forum Expert

Ranger with 1900 damage? That's EDIT. Then he probably does have longbow with speed 0.83 and 1000 hp so you kill him on 1 hit with 650+ damage char.

Last edited by moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    -HARRA81- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.