Game Data Randomly Deleted?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Morinphen, Feb 13, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Morinphen

Morinphen Forum Overlooker

Then what about game's fault bugs that affected some players, but not all?

2. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

Now I am not a computer guru and don't play one on the internet either, I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. However, computers (in my experience) are rarely random. As an example, the task manager can be used to clean up temp files, however, it is not random. There are set times or dates or triggers to cause the system to clean. Now if I am mistaken in this and computers decide on their own to do random things, maybe that would explain the issue.

Now my situation (the only one I can comment on) has been ongoing for quite a while on different computers and different operating systems. Yes, it could be possible that each computer has been set up to do exactly the same thing, but even then, the results differ at random intervals.

There have been some updates to the game that slow down the reloading of the game. Maybe it's possible that my various computers detect a new release by the game and decides to become even more random in deleting temp files, but I find that a little difficult to wrap my head around.

With the last 2 releases, my data resets every 6th log in (could be over days or weeks or happen all in one day).

Currently however I'm at exactly 6. If I log in twice on my Mac, then 4 times on my PC the game resets. The next time, I log in 3 times on my Mac and 3 times on my desktop PC the game resets. The next attempt is logging in 3 times on my PC desktop and 3 times on my PC laptop the game resets. Seems odd to me that 3 different computers (two different operating systems) are all conspiring together.

Now if this were all done on 1 computer, I would immediately blame the computer. That would make perfect sense. However, this is not always the case. With some releases, I can play for weeks without an update or deleting of the files. There was even a time where it never deleted files.

If it is my computers, why it chooses this particular game to delete, I have no answer. Why it affects a small number of other players, I have no answer.

This is why it leads me to question whether or not it is my various computers.

DSO is not the only game I play that stores data in the temp files, but it is to date the only game that deletes files.

Now maybe this issue is 100% on my end and I'm willing to accept that, all I've done for quite a while now is ask for a solution. I've completed the various tasks offered here in this particular thread and the others before it.

If the problem had always been "blamed" on something deleting temp files, that would be something, but the blame has been spread around quite a bit, ie: task manager, ISP, firewall, Windows (7, 8, vista, 10) virus software, etc.

I've stopped task managers. I've stop anti-virus programs. I've changed computers. I've changed operating systems.

What I fully expect to happen is that in a year from now, someone else will start a thread asking why this happens and the cycle of the same answers will repeat itself.

For my part, I'm out of this topic. No need to beat the same dead horse.

(edited to re-arrange my thoughts into a more concise point)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    semen470 and Morinphen like this.
  3. -hexhunter-

-hexhunter- Forum Greenhorn

My issue is back.

29/03/18 Since last update around half my dso temp files have been re-created.

lost all my maps ect and completely reloaded client.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. I've moved your thread into another thread that deals with the same issue.

It is well know, but no one has been able to conclusively determine the root cause or devise a universal solution. I'd recommend you try some of the methods discussed here in the thread and they may work for you. The other part of this issue is that it doesn't happen to everybody, which indicates that it is something on the computer side, but as said, no one has been able to solve this problem once and for all.

Good luck.

Erebus likes this.
  5. iNeXoRaBlE

iNeXoRaBlE Forum Great Master

DSO is the only game that this problem occur (for me only at win10) so can the Dev team look into it (Are the looking the problem?) Its annoying.. like super annoying.

6. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

There is a reason why I am not using Windows 10.

7. iNeXoRaBlE

iNeXoRaBlE Forum Great Master

Well, i can't use outdated OS due to my job's nature.
    I wanted to test win10 before i use it on my PC that renders, also i dont think that it is the OS fault but, it is bad coding for win10 i guess.
    I even use 10 y.o programs without any problem. The O.S is just fine, the game needs some tweeking for the newer platform.

8. Osote

Osote Forum Greenhorn

I used to have this problem several times a week, and sometimes multiple times in a day if I played a lot, and I have found an acceptable workaround (at least for me, takes a lot of extra HD space). I copy the entire %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\DSOClient folder contents into another location, and any time I start DSO and it decides to download even though there was no patch, I simply exit the client, delete everything in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\DSOClient, restore the backed up files, and try again. Works 100% of the time for me.

9. Steve75

Steve75 Junior Expert

One of my clan mates had this suggestion which seems to be working well, I did it roughly one month ago and game data is not randomly deleted in every 7-9 days since then.
    Win 10: go to Task Scheduler / Microsoft / Windows / DiskCleanup and disable it.

10. -joseph9393-

-joseph9393- Forum Greenhorn

tried your way and it worked, no more auto-delete .thank you steve75 .

11. jamesstafford58

jamesstafford58 Someday Author

12. earlwebster

earlwebster Forum Apprentice

this may not be the right place to post this however...

as you can see, i can login here just fine. when i try to login the client with same username/password it tells me the account doesnt exits.
    and when i try to change password it says account doesnt exist. ive been playing for over a decade and now this? what is going on?
    the reason i posted here is because of the recent activity, apologies ;).

13. Mal3ficent

Mal3ficent Guest

Hello @earlwebster ,
    Please contact support. We cannot assist you on forum.

Cheers.

14. Testador

Testador Junior Expert

That solved the problem here.
    Thank you.