Has PVP always been so upset?

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Deefje, Dec 12, 2013.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deefje

Deefje Advanced

Hey guys, I'm really well, not enjoying pvp at the moment.

I'm competitive as all hell and enjoy a challenge. But most of the time in duels I just walk away and make a sandwich whenever I see another xx centurion or knight of the order I must have gained 5 kilo's since I played this game. ;)

Jokes aside, as a totally new player, just having gotten to pvp level 21 has been a chore. I heard about the (relateviely) new mentor thing, so I leveled a bit faster than I usually would have done, hoping that in the thirties there'd be less so called 'twinks' but it's actually getting worse.

Also, since there's always at least 1 or 2 knights of the order in any group pvp battle, getting any achievements for a reasonable honor reward is impossible.

Is this being adressed? The tresh-hold for new players is WAY too high like this and if my friends weren't playing this game (casual gaming couple I know irl) I would probably already have given it up. Which is worrying for the state of the game(pvp).

I don't consider myself an easy quitter, I actually get an extra thrill when I do beat a centurion but it in general the pvp is very unfulfilling.

Occasionally I also fight other characters which I can only imagine have a lot of money spent on them, which totally whoop me, but this being a 'micro transaction game' I can live with that.

Will this even out at high level? Should I just not pvp too much until 45? Or will I keep on encountering people that outrank me by basically too far for it to be challenging.

Is there kind of a match up system that groups rank vs rank? Or is this only level based.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I needed to get this off my chest but I also do sincerely believe that hardly any new player could really enjoy pvp in it's current state.

2. dragons

dragons Active Author

Your signature said it better than the post.

3. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

The answer to your topic is no. My first toon to hold the #1 overall ranking on Tegan still had some blue gear equipped. I had a second toon that achieved this (albeit only for one day, lol) and also the first to win 1000 matches and the Crown of the Victorius here on Tegan. Both of these required little more than dedicated arena playing and both were done back in open beta before June 2012. (I have buiilt a couple of good arena toons since then but they took me over a year to do.)

But here is what has changed since then. Gems above polished grades were introduced into the game. About 75% more endgame unique gear (including the PW set) became available. On the players side they started using loopholes in the system so that you now see KotO's below level ten. Even I got caught up in that craze briefly and have a toon that is level 17 with level 29 fame (I quit the guild that made this possible and have not played him since last summer. I plan on fixing him next year.)

In my mind I blame the "Roadmap" for 2013. The devs made a push at the beginning of the year to address PvP issues but after that it has for the most part been set aside so they could complete the other goals for this year.

I feel for you. As a new player in this game the situation must seem impossible. I am lucky enough that I have a lot of pretty old toons (even ones with fame considerably lower than their level) that are built well enough to at least give a good show in the arena. (I guess that I have played thousands of matches here is a factor too.)

I am hopeful that the status quo of PvP is not good enough for the devs (there have certainly been enough posts from disenfranchished players) and 2014 will see some new fixes to address the problems.

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

4. TheInfamous

TheInfamous Board Analyst

Don't hurry to level up. It actually gets worse if you get into the higher level brackets.

PvP was very balanced for a short while but people complained because PvP games sometimes took a long time to start. So now, the only factor that truly makes a difference is level.

You can fight anyone with green, yellow or orange level. (The level difference between you and others is color coded. So green-orange is a 5 plus or minus levels from yours) everything else just barely affects the outcome. So a Centurion can be matched with pretty much anyone... Kotos... Flag Bearers.. Marshals (even Grand Marshal) so long as they are withing a 5 level difference to each other.

Really, you won't see much fairness in PvP. Might as well get used to fighting the big guys you stand little to no chance against because soon enough 90% of the people you will have to fight are such big guys.

Its actually surprising to me how many people became P2P in the time I've been playing and how many P2P'ers joined the game and payed from the start. I've seen people reach endgame and have better stats than me in just 1-2 months. Its freaking ridiculous.

So, I'm warning you now... if you get frustrated easily, quit now or pay a lot of money. Because if you don't your laptop will. xd

5. Deefje

Deefje Advanced

Thanks for the enlightening.

Thanks dragon for... whatever that was meant to be.

Anyhow, I don't really get frustrated that easily so I'll hang in there. I'm hopeful that a 25 'fame' level will change a lot since the stun reduction/immunity is quite powerful.

Until then, I'll just swoop around with my 2hander hoping for those 1.5k crits. If nothing else, I'll take pleasure in kiting the honor knights around for at least the full 2 minutes and then stick out my tongue. ;)

Except for those graceful ones who seem to always give me 1 of 3 rounds ofcourse.

@TheInfamous , what is the maximum experience level you would recommend for me to get my fame to a decent level? Would that be 39 to avoid the 45's, for 34 to avoid the 40's? I'm 33 as of yet and was thinking on going to 35 to get my iron brow improved, seems quite useful.

6. TheInfamous

Well, you want to stay as low as possible. Pretty sure level 35's don't fight level 40s that often so you can go for 35 if you want but just keep in mind that when you increase levels the values of some of your stats decrease. (Armor, critical hit rate, and blocks) I would have stayed in the level 15s or so. At level 30s you're bound to fight a lot more P2W guys and high ranked guys so it doesn't really matter whether you're 33 or 35.

7. IWantedALongUsername

IWantedALongUsername Forum Apprentice

I've been harping on about this for the last twelve months, and the mods and devs really don't give a edit about it.

Last edited by moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  8. Amend

Amend Junior Expert

So the devs are not going change me a recruit facing an seasoned knight of the order?

9. TheInfamous

Maybe... maybe not. Who the hell knows. They do whatever they want so long as it doesn't piss off the source of income.

10. DK-TANK

DK-TANK Forum Greenhorn

WHY server MAKE MAG`s GOD of this game ?
    WHY they are Powerful
    we STOP playing
    cannot play with DK or ranger
    Funny things is Steam realy funny
    Steam shooting range is 3meter but mage fireball 10m
    steam shooting Slowmotion mage shooting super fast (at same lvl)
    this is R U B I S H GAME based of MAGE

11. Amend

Amend Junior Expert

@DK-TANK are you talking about the steam mechanic? you do realize its a knew character and will have its kinked worked out over time...

12. spiro_spula

spiro_spula Forum Connoisseur

Wow i guess tank in all caps has it all worked out. He must have reached max level with at least two classes and has a deep understanding of game mechanics. That's why his post is so insightful and in line with reality.
    (Mage and dwarf have same base attack speed at all levels. Also, you ran into a twink or two and failed to realize it but instead concluded that mages are overpowered.)

Amend likes this.
  13. DJMoody

DJMoody Forum Apprentice

You just have to grind your way to KoTo and accept that you will be cannon fodder for other people while you are on your journey.

On your way you will influence some fights - and others where the higher ranked opponent has also spend money on the game - you will have to accept you have no chance.

Once you hit level 45 and get decent gear and decent fame rank PvP becomes much balanced and much more fun.

It can still be totally unbalanced when come up against the to play credit card products - so you will always have to put up with an element of unbalanced fights that are not fun.

The other choice is not to play at all (and if you chose that route I wouldn't blame you - there are too many flaws in the system).

14. Deefje

Deefje Advanced

@DJMoody thanks. Actually it's gotten somewhat better at level 38. I also learned that queueing with somewhat lower level(both fame and exp) greatly increases my chances of getting into a balanced battle.

That being said, I'm also at rank 26 myself now, the stun immunity thing is a significant boon in especially 1v1.

I might spend some money on the game but nothing too exuberant, I guess those people that do 600-700 damage on their standard attacks will still be out of my reach. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.