Random Drops

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Darwarren, Jan 20, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

Maybe another question is in order: Exactly what determines what and when something drops?

DSO had the players chasing their tails for years, with some "random" nonsense. There is a program, payoffs are delivered on a schedule, and variables do effect it. But it is no accident that people with high offense and defense statistics get a lot of high quality drops.

Somewhere along the line, the program makes decisions, yes or no. What are the criteria for the different goodies?

2. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

That is the magic question; what factors become part of the drop equation? For me all is anecdotal. I do seem to have better drops when I move gear to get BIG numbers, not necessarily the highest DPS, and during events in off event maps. But then, yesterday in HOD, I get frozen by a Knight take three quick simultaneous strikes from priests and die, I run back to find a legendary on the ground from a Knight I never got a hit on. That just makes me go "who knows?"

It is unlikely BP will release any kind of real loot table information. This makes all the guess work just that, guess work, and has people blaming all kinds of possible factors that match their own experience or in some cases to support their arguments of game inequality. Who can prove any of those arguments right or wrong? Well, no one. It's the same reasons baseball players let their beards grow in the post season and wear the same dirty sox. Superstition! It is why people come up with all kinds of theories on how to get a frag to drop in PW's, or a unique at an end boss. We don't know so we come up with our own ideas of what works or doesn't based on our own experience. I've mentioned the rubber chicken in several posts as monument to this silliness. But, hey wait, if it works is it silliness?

I don't know but these socks are starting to really smell.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

I have no scientific proof ... but ... I have been testing too many times ... and my conclusion is: hardware and software have big impact in drops.
    Hardware: different PC configuration = different drops.
    Software: different browsers = different drops (even on same hardware configuration).

4. 9ndrei

9ndrei Forum Expert

lol, sorry bro, but this is pure fun! There is no way you're right. It doesn't even make sense. :)

A few months ago I poured over 1k USD into my new rig.. and still gettin' crappy drops. Here's the proof.

5. spiro_spula

spiro_spula Forum Connoisseur

As I understood it, Traki is not saying better computer=better drops. The way I see it, he is of the opinion that the PRG takes variables from client-side hardware and software, rather than taking them all from the server.

_Baragain_ and trakilaki like this.
  6. trakilaki

I didn't said you have to get "state of the art" hardware to get better drop. :D
    As for the software ... I am using different browsers and client.
    Latest update: I am usually playing in chrome ... for the last event I made more than 120 runs on circus map ... to get all the parts for the Heredur Doll.
    I made something like 30+ runs for the last part only. But then I switched to firefox ... and I got the last piece in 2 kills.
    During the last Dragan event i was playing in chrome ... but i was using firefox for the Dragan. and guess what ... I have collected all parts for the epic mount in 20+ kills. Not just that ... I have collected 2 more Dragan sets (highest tier).
    BTW I already had that set from the first event.

7. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

This is more rubber chicken stuff Trak. You made 30+runs for the last part then switched to firefox. How do you know that staying with chrome would not have given you the part in the next two runs. Passing off this kind off witchcraft voodoo does no one any good.

I was also looking for the last part on the doll. I had made 65 runs and when the wife got home I got the drop the VERY NEXT RUN. So, I suggest everyone get married to enhance drops.

How many people are using Firefox and their drops still stink? Uh zero??? You now the answer.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    jthames and Darwarren like this.
  8. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

Basic scientific method: observable, measureable, repeatable. Correlation does not prove causation. :)

BigPapa likes this.
  9. trakilaki

How do you know that you won't get the last part in 2 runs if you play on my configuration?

--MERGED--

1. Definition of the Problem. [​IMG]
    2. Gathering of Relevant Data. [​IMG]
    3. Formulation of a Hypothesis. [​IMG]
    4. Observation or Experimentation to test Hypothesis. [​IMG]
    5. Acceptance, Modification, or Rejection of the Hypothesis. [​IMG]

Last edited by moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  10. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

Ridiculous!! I don't know and neither do you. That's the point. And if you want to google checklist items to validate your experiment, you should understand what they truly mean. Your whole process is flawed and you missed every step above and it lead you to invalid conclusions. No scientist could possibly look at your method and validate your conclusion.

All of that to say, if you feel your operating system has an effect on your drops, spectacular do what you feel works for you. But passing that off as anything other than speculation is ridiculous.

11. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

It is a better theory than P2Ps get better drops than F2Ps. Also, it is based on something that has some sort of basis. The PRNG has to pull it's inputs from somewhere, and hardware differences and choice of client *Could* conceivably have an impact on the drops. However, without massive amounts of data from tons of players, it is all speculation. I just wish I could have one day to peek under DSO's hood and see their code... I would immediately look for the PRNG code and the drop tables. Once I figured that out, I'd probably look at some of their PvP match making algorithms.:D:p

12. 9ndrei

9ndrei Forum Expert

Dude, BugPoint or LagPoint.. whatever they call themselves these days can't even fix a few straight forward bugs/crashes. Do you honestly think they can make a drop algorithm based on the rigs on which you run the game? :p

13. _Baragain_

You either misunderstand or have no experience with computer science. Think about this. Say one variable's value is taken from the last 4 bits of a double precision floating point number that is just being fed/incremented by a simple pulse clock running at the speed of the processor (or 1/10th or 1/100th, it doesn't matter). If you have 5 different rigs, you would have 5 different outcomes due to minuscule differences. However, one processor might be uniquely "in sync" with the drop tables and seems to have more "luck" than the average person. The converse could also be true that you end up perfectly out of sync with the drop table and seem to get nothing but garbage.

This actually has some evidence behind it. Have you ever had whole weeks where you don't get a single unique or legendary, and then you have other days where you get a couple in the space of a couple of hours? I have. I went over 7-8 months without the second and third parts of Keen's set, and then got both of them in the space of three hours... Nothing special, just normal farming.

This could easily apply to the pet drops too. One person's drops are just in the zone and they get all of the parts they need in the <10 runs, while other people's are off and they are the ones who need 80+. Trakilaki is not saying BP programmed it so that some rigs will get better drops and others will get worse, rather that because of the dev's choice of variables that some people naturally seem to have better or worse luck because of how their computer generates the inputs to the PRNG.

14. lewcar

lewcar Padavan

Another theory to think about lol
    Still trying to work out how a while ago on Tegan server, literally hundreds of khalys unique weapons & off-hands dropped in the space of 2-3 days after ~year dry period for the entire server.

15. _Baragain_

I recall something like that happening on Agathon about 15-18 months ago with Gorga dropping the parts of Keen's/Roshan's/Yachak's. I remember because I was taking a break from the game at the time and I came back and every end game DK at the time had achieved the full set.

16. lewcar

lewcar Padavan

That also happened on Tegan, haha. From memory it was in the month leading up to the 45 cap increase, which is something to think about given another one is pending

17. BigPapa

BigPapa Forum Overlooker

I'll buy the possible existence of a variable feed from the host computer that could have an influence on rolls. From the programming aspect of it though, there are much simpler methods to obtain random values, and in any case, they wouldn't depend on which browser was used. I don't profess to be an expert although I do have significant programming experience, but, of course I'm willing to listen if my experience isn't applicable.

I too had a very similar experience to yours with the Yach's set. Got last two pieces a week apart after finding the belt 3 times to start out with 7 or 8 months prior. A whole server going in "sync" though doesn't seem to match with the clock theory, more likely a programmer misplaced a decimal:eek: but as always, who knows? My rubber chicken still seems to work just as well at explaining things.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  18. Darwarren

Darwarren Count Count

Computer science gives 1 set of analytics; machine engineering gives another set. Clocking speeds are sometimes adjustable, although very accurate time is acquired by counting modulations in alternating current. The US uses different power frequencies and voltage systems, than countries in Europe and Japan do. This could also be a cause for lack of synchronization, if sync really is a factor.

Another issue is in program design. If C++ is really the working computer language, would BigPoint even need or use a complex algorithm to determine drop type and frequency? Simple table look-ups can do the same job, with less processing required. I personally prefer a no luck, non-random approach, based on timing and stats, but that's another moot point.

I doubt DSO will ever tell us (and the hackers) how stuff happens. The solutions to game problems are all theirs to implement. Players just have choices to complain, endure, or quit.

Advocacy and idle speculation make us feel good; it gives us a sense of control, real or not. (And for some, especially moderators, control is very important.)
    And sometimes, I am even impressed! Woo-hoo!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    _Baragain_ likes this.
  19. fourtwenty68

fourtwenty68 Board Analyst

i was afk while my group killed the 1rst knight in map2,when i got back i went to see what dropped and there was a pink and a legend.
    so you either get something or you dont.no sense on banging our heads over this.

20. matami

matami Someday Author

Sure they wont reveal how luck is generated in this game but maybe if we complain enough they will look into it could there be something that have messed it up when they have updated the game. At least i dont buy that if we have totally random luck and throw coin 100 times and get 95 times heads like it seems to be for some players now. I know that was bad example but you understand my point :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.