Feedback VOTE: Language Based Chat Rooms

Discussion in 'Discussions on Current Topics' started by teddy.bear, Mar 12, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

When I play Drakensang Online…

1. A. I prefer to chat and play with players from my own language

38.8%
  2. B. I prefer to chat and play with players from multiple languages

56.3%
  3. 1. I am bothered by all the foreign languages that I see in the chat

17.5%
  4. 2. I am not bothered by all the foreign languages that I see in the chat

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash

Ash Advanced

If you look at the poll responses you find that A and B are almost 50-50, whereas 1 and 2 are significantly apart. I think this highlights a fault in the wording of question #1.

Saying that you prefer A - I prefer to chat and play with players from my own language.
    ...is not the same thing as saying you prefer not to hear other languages, or that you wouln't group up with peple speaking other languages, or that you would want to be excluded from hearing other languages, or that you don't enjoy playing with players speaking other laguages.
    It's a misleading question. Or should we say it's a leading question.

tinyboom and BigPapa like this.
  2. MegaNuker

MegaNuker Forum Ambassador

I prefer to play with English speaking people. Not that I don't like others but sometimes it is hard to explain I need 10 more dogs only then town. They leave and say city ok.

3. DesertKoala

DesertKoala Forum Pro

Dear Dev,

Please read the community comments on this thread. BTW, you are rolling out a lot of nice enhancements. This isn't a rant. I like a lot of what I am seeing.

Nice intention but the consequences will be user frustration and ultimately the majority of people who don't turn on the filter.

If you are going to do anything with the Social functions in DSO, finish what you started with the Group function. If anything, Chat needs to cast a wider net. Chat doesn't need to be filtered. It needs to be augmented to allow seeing chat from sister/alliance Guilds. I think BigPapa gave a good use case when he mentioned that Event invites are universally typed the same, i.e. 'event 4/5'. If you are going to add filters, which would break BigPapa's use case, then you need to finish what you started with the Group function and add a global search function. Right now, the half implemented Group function is a lurker's wet dream. I absolutely hate it and find those that lurk the most annoying in game players.

Here is what I would like for Chat:
    1. Guild Officers have the ability to 'link' to up to three Alliance Guilds. Having linked, chat across these Guilds is now visible. This would be fantastic to break past the 50 max member mark and also allow Guilds to build out PVP focused factions or ones where Alternates are in the nursery and still growing.
    2. Chat now allows you to open the tab to see cross Alliance Guild discussion.

Here is what I would like for Group function:
    1. Add a checkbox in the group to NOT appear in the group catalog
    2. Add a global catalog to search across the entire server
    3. Add an objective pulldown with four simple choices for group intention: PVE, PVP, Farm, Event
    4. Allow searching the catalog when grouped. Currently you cannot do this. If you are grouped, you cannot see other groups.

A bit long winded but net-net, filtering by language will only create a more fragmented player base.

Thanks,
    Tregs

Ash, BigPapa and DocWhisky like this.
  4. DocWhisky

DocWhisky Forum Mogul

Awesome idea, and great presentation, Tregs. :))

My 2 cents worth.
    IMHO ... only one thing is missing... A built in translator. I have said from the beginning that having something like Google translate BUILT IN to the chat function would allow greater communication between those of differing languages. Its very frustrating to join a group... only to find they speak a language that you dont.

Thanks, Doc.

Savage and walknbass like this.
  5. MegaNuker

MegaNuker Forum Ambassador

Hey Tree I really like then name. I used to have a friend in another game that played with that name... His alt char was sonoftreg... But I like you suggestions also.

6. goof

goof Forum Apprentice

Anything that helps me understand what just about everyone on the Agathon server (which I picked because it was a "USA" server) would be helpful. Although I like living in the USA for its diversity among other things, I'm not used to gaming with people who mostly speak Spanish or Portuguese. I've been trying to use Google's translator in the cities but have given up on that as it's a pain to keep going back and forth trying to understand what's being said, so I just started ignoring chat. I did take Spanish in school but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten almost all of it and don't really want to relearn Spanish for a video game. I play to relax, not to learn. :)

I don't want to see the community divided. On the contrary I'd love to see MORE people playing and enjoying the game and communicating with each other. It's just hard when the only language you understand isn't the one spoken 95% of the time.

tinyboom likes this.
  7. Mindship

Mindship Forum Inhabitant

Like true heroes, we marshal our powers of context-cue understanding, and, doing our gallant best, wend our way through the various, colorful nuances and errors of those who are challenged by proper language. Methinks having bits of comprehensible speech to work with has to be better than nothing.

BigPapa likes this.
  8. Silaber

Silaber Forum Apprentice

I believe that this problem is related to some servers not all for example ppl playing on agathon might have no problem with it but with us playing on grimmag and not speaking russian/polish/greek you are in total isolation on every 15 - 20 sentences there is 1 english and most of the time no reply and no answer (mostly the ones that just started playing dso), hard time finding groups for farming / events.

9. Mindship

Mindship Forum Inhabitant

If installing an ingame translator is too much, at least allow the copy-paste function to work in the chat room. This way, we wouldn't have to actually type into Google translate. C/P would move things along much more quickly.

10. _G_R_A_M_P_S_

_G_R_A_M_P_S_ Old Hand

Allowing copy only would be good enough. (If they re afraid of people spamming the chat with paste). Makes me think of it, why not just give players a 5 min ban from chat if they send the same message more then 3 times?

Back on topic. I m surprised this subject even needs to be discussed. Read the messages in the languages you understand, skip the rest, simple as that.

Please devs, spend your time on other stuff, not these little things.

11. Tilwin90

Tilwin90 Padavan

My friends and I have a multi-cultural clan with people speaking various languages. Primarily most of us can speak English, but we also have members who sometimes communicate in Spanish, French or Romanian.
    Or is this for the public chats only? (white and pink) If so I admit I don't really use those, I prefer to stick to groups and clan so I am neutral about this (don't really care).
    I agree with other people though that the lack of select-copy-paste is annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.