Short bow or Long bow on pvp

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by atb333atb, Jan 17, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Absolutely not true. Both Witch Chaser/hunter and Legendary Essence Armament are giving almost double than the Dragan set.
    The defensive stats can be obtained through the gems.

2. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

Sorry but you missed the point again, i wasn't comparing sets, i was comparing long bows and shirt bows. Let's put it in other words, if you have a longbow with the same stats of a short bow, the only set that gives more benefits with the long bow is the dragan set.

Btw i wrote the numbers, and numbers say that a perfect long bow with 1 or 2 attack speed bonuses can't be better than a perfect shirt bow with full dmg. But if you don't believe numbers, i can't persuade you :)

3. soxx101

soxx101 Forum Connoisseur

what is a "perfect shirt bow"?
    are you getting a little frustrated there?
    if you wrote the numbers then you should know better, heavyweight will always beat a flyweight

always a pleasure
    soxx....

4. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

Perfect means with max values. And in my examples the shirtbow was the heavyweight...:rolleyes:

5. soxx101

soxx101 Forum Connoisseur

no such thing as a shirtbow in the game sorry to inform you, i think that you are trying to say SHORTBOW...
    and as for heavyweight, keep trying you will become a lightweight soon :)

always a pleasure
    soxx.....

6. trakilaki

Like I said previously you cant compare only the bows without the gear.
    Put the Dragan set in the trash can and forget about it. :D
    My base damage with Dragan's set is ~1400-1600 ... which is not even close to this one. On top of it those stats in the link are outdated ... and not even close to the maximum capacity. Just take a look how drastically my damage went up in couple of months with the same gear.(point one ... point two)

If I am using long bow and you are using short bow ... and we are using the maximum of 5 royal sapphires into our arrows ... then our attack speed difference would be the starting one and we both can't improve it any further. Therefore we can only focus on damage. My damage would be increasing on a higher scale than yours it is simple as that. Why? Because the long bow has a higher base damage and it would benefit more from the damage enchantments and bonuses from other items/sets and rubies. If your base damage is 100 and mine 150 ... +50% is not the same for both of us ... for you it would be 50+100=150 for me it would be 75+150=225 ...

When i said search the forum ... I meant search my posts.

There you go I gave you the "numbers" ... and keep in mind that my gear is not even close to cap level 50 and I am using gems that can be improved even further. ;)

7. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

That's what i was saying, the only way to benefit from a long bow is a full damage long bow (1 attack speed bonus and the short bow will be better), but if you have a full damage long bow you wìll need a lot of high tier sapphires to reach a usable level of speed (in pvp). And the same damage logic can be applied to the speed. Adding 50% speed to a bow with 1.05 would be 1.05 + 0.525 = 1.575, adding 50% to a bow with 0.83 base speed would be 0.83 +0.415 = 1.245.
    This is one of my last full damage drops, i haven't seen better long bows around, and it's far away from the perfect short bow :)
    [​IMG]

Btw can i see you long bow stats?

8. trakilaki

Silentmist I have provided you the links ... at least read the other threads. Already answered there what enchantments my long bow has. No I am not using full damage longbow I use long bow with 2x attack speed 2x weapon damage. At start the base attack speed of your short bow is nullified but you can't get more base damage than a long bow user. Oh ... and my bow's enchantments are not so great compared to the perfect long bow of its kind.

9. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

I don't get why you are so sure about that, if you'd try the short bow i posted both your damge and your attack speed will be higher ;)

10. trakilaki

Dude ... at the end you get pretty (almost) same stats with both long and short bow ... you only need to find the proper enchantments and gear set up.
    At the end we can conclude few things:
    1. It is not true that longbow is only for PVE
    2. It is true that with short bow is giving the results almost instantly ... while with long bow you need strategy, patience and long way for development. That is why everyone is choosing short bow ... but on a long term with long bow you get the same outcome with "uniqueness" granted.
    3. Every noob can use short bow ... but only mind masters can use long bow.
    4. Underestimating long bows and favoring the short bows is stupidity.

soxx101 likes this.
  11. ULTRAPEINLICH

ULTRAPEINLICH Forum Duke

Uhm
    a longbow's average base dmg is bigger than a short bow's average base dmg by 39 if i remember correctly

you need at least 2 speed enchantments on a long bow to get to the same weapon speed like on a short bow
    that leaves you 2 slots for dmg enchantments --> 80%weapon dmg in a best case scenario

on a short bow you need 1 dmg enchantement (+40dmg) to get to the same bsdmg like on a short bow
    --> short bow and long bow are now equal in terms of speed and dmg
    leaves you 3 slots for dmg enchantments on a short bow --> 120% in a best case scenario which means our short bow is by 150% stronger than a long bow

if you dont need 2 speed enchantments on a long bow it looks different though. but it wont be much better than a pure dmg shortbow.
    it's just all about luck, and i myself wouldn't want to waste gold on crafting long bows, since it's much harder to get a really useful long bow.

xEthnic likes this.
  12. Mindship

Mindship Forum Inhabitant

What's considered a good attacks/second armed with a longbow?

13. trakilaki

This is my final post in this thread ...
    ULTRAPEINLICH and Silentmist both of you are assuming and guessing ... for better results you MUST test and actually use and develop the build with long bow. Read again what I have said so far (other threads too) and see where your theory doesn't fit. I know the answer ... but I will keep it to myself ... you will have to find it for yourselves. :p

Silentmist I tried to clone your build from this thread using only what I have in my disposal ATM.

[​IMG]

Mario_Boss likes this.
  14. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

Ultrapeinlich wrote more or less this:
    And that's true, it's not an assumption. You have two identical bows, but the long one has 2 bonuses left, the short one has 3 bonuses left. I can't force someone to believe that 3 is better than 2, but i'm sure of it :)

And i'm not saying that short bows are always better, there can be long bows better than short bows, but in the same way there can be lvl 40 belts better than lvl 45 ones.

ULTRAPEINLICH likes this.
  15. trakilaki

:):):)
    Damn ... man seriously ... try one build with longbow ... you will notice that the third bonus from the short bow gets NULLIFIED!
    But you never tried playing with long bow ... you will never know. :)

16. sdknightno1

sdknightno1 Advanced

I can tell you that ranger longbow is most definitely the worst weapon in DSO. Having 0.83 speed and only ~40 more base damage than the shortbow counterpart is just stupid. For pvp I can tell you that attack speed is more important that damage as it allows you to act quicker to increase your chance of hitting your targets and chance of dodging their shots.

On a side note, the attack speed bonus from sapphires also depend on weapon base speed. For example, 10% attack speed from a sacred sapphire will only grant you 8.3% more attack speed if your weapon has 0.83 speed. So using shortbow will also allow you to get more out of your sapphire gems.

Hope this helps.

17. Mario_Boss

Mario_Boss Regular

well i am dk so i won't talk much between short or long bow i just can say that trakilaki show his stats with long bow, now all you who are against post better stats :cool::p

18. trakilaki

That is incorrect. Good balance between them is most important.
    Also incorrect. You don't get bonus for sapphires. Base for the attack speed is 1.00 (100%)
    If a long bow has 0.83 attack speed and you put a sacred sapphire inside you get 0.83 + 0.10(10%) = 0.93 attack speed.
    If a short bow has 1.05 attack speed and you put a sacred sapphire inside you get 1.05 + 0.10(10%) = 1.15 attack speed
    If the short bow/long bow has 20% more attack speed enchantment and you put a sacred sapphire inside you get:
    short bow: 1.05 + 0.10(10%) + 0.20(20%) = 1.35 attack speed.
    long bow: 0.83 + 0.10(10%) + 0.20(20%) = 1.13 attack speed.

BTW I do agree that long bows should be equal with short bows (which now is not the case) ... I have said in the past here and in the old forum ... long bows should have longer range than short bows. It is the only thing that makes sense. And it is already implemented for midgets (but I made the note long time ago before SM was introduced :p ).

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  19. Silentmist

Silentmist Junior Expert

You are wrong, i already wrote this but it seems you don't pay attention to my posts:
    And this is very easy to check:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you don't know how speed works, it's hard to believe you when you say that you know an answer that we still don't know :)

Kráčajúci and ULTRAPEINLICH like this.
  20. tassadar1977

tassadar1977 Forum Expert

adding 10% speed from gloves is different to adding a 10% speed gem onto the bow which is where the figures trak was showing came from. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.